View Single Post
Old Fri May 31, 2002, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Good question Rut,

I used to run rec leagues in the summer for a college job. I filled in as a ref when we had a no-show. The president of the local referees association reffed w/ me and talked me into doing it "for real" after I got out of college.

I love the atmosphere of basketball and it brings back wonderful memories of when I played in H.S. and Junior College. The sound of the band in warm-ups, the smell of popcorn, the squeak of tennis shoes. I feel more alive on the hardwood than anywhere else. The older I get (a whopping 38), the less activities I find that make my adrenaline surge. Officiating hoops still does it.

I'm addicted to staying in shape so I lift weights daily and do some type of cardio (run or bike), but much prefer getting my cardio workout by reffing. It is much more enjoyable and I don't think about how many miles I'm putting in when I'm officiating....it doesn't seem like work (yes Rut, including AAU leagues).

I would still ref if they did not pay us, but I wouldn't ref nearly as many games. Even though the final check is way less than someone could make putting in equal time on a "side job," it's nice to have a little extra money for the spring vacation.

My best friends now are people I have met in our referee association. Yes I'm bias, but officials are the world's most genuine people. I am very lucky that my wife is extremely supportive of my officiating and comes to many of my games (although I now make her sit above the "fan" section because she "defends our calls" too much). :-)

There is no better feeling in the world than walking off the court knowing that you gave each team a fair, safe, and consistent game.

Z