The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

scratched?

Heres a first, I got switched to a different game coming up. I asked my assignor if there was a reason because I thought the game I had to begin with might be a decent game. I was told that the coach thought I was too chummy with the other coach. I never talk to this coach out of when I would have his game. I might have him 2 or 3 times a year at most. I am cordial like I am with all coaches. Not sure what the deal is. Any advice, should I just let it go and not worry about it. This is the first time I have ever been scratched from a game before (that I know of) Just thought you guys might be able to offer some insights. Thanks
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 12:52am
We don't rent pigs

Avoid trying to break down the thought process on anything said/done by a coach which remotely involves an official.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Avoid trying to break down the thought process on anything said/done by a coach which remotely involves an official.
Totally agree!!! I would never want to be an assignor. Too many headaches but my immediate thought is, did he go to bat for you and your credibility as an official. Does he change officials often because of a request like this. If so, too many headaches.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

If that's the reason, your assignor needs a backbone. But other than that, let it go and don't worry about it.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
Heres a first, I got switched to a different game coming up. I asked my assignor if there was a reason because I thought the game I had to begin with might be a decent game. I was told that the coach thought I was too chummy with the other coach. I never talk to this coach out of when I would have his game. I might have him 2 or 3 times a year at most. I am cordial like I am with all coaches. Not sure what the deal is. Any advice, should I just let it go and not worry about it. This is the first time I have ever been scratched from a game before (that I know of) Just thought you guys might be able to offer some insights. Thanks
I wonder if it's possible the coach had you confused with somebody else? But that's really beside the point...your assignor needs to be more of a stand-up kind of person. That accusation by the coach is serious, and obviously it's important to both teams at every game to give the appearance of being fair. The fact that he didn't even call you to respond to the coach's comment speaks volumes. If assignors around here acted like that, there'd be nobody left to officiate games.

How many games does this guy give you per season? Unfortunately there's probably not a lot you can do...but if it were me, I'd make sure I stay in touch with a few other assignors to keep my options open...
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 09:10am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
If that's the reason, your assignor needs a backbone. But other than that, let it go and don't worry about it.
Agreed. Don't worry about it. And it is possible that your assignor doens't have a backbone. I had an assignor like that back in '01-02. It happens.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

You just learn to let it go. Coaches a strange animals. I was scratched by a coach because he thought I changed my call. There was about to be a collision on the sideline --> block all the way. Right before the collision, the player dribbling the ball steps out of bounds --> violation instead of the foul. I signaled the block, but realized I jumped the gun. Blew my whistle again and called the out of bounds violation. I explained everything to the coach, he said once I made a signal I cannot change it. I told him I anticipated the call and should have waited. I signaled wrong but got the call right. I was scratched by the coach. Have not been back since. When the assignor requested the game DVD, he reviewed it and said I did anticipate the call, but MADE THE RIGHT CALL!!!!!! But the coaches have the power and so I was scratched. I was asked why if I got it right, he said that is just the way it is.

My friend's association says that no coach can scratch without a game DVD and the coach must state what the official did wrong. If the coach is wrong, tough luck. IF the coach is right, then the official is scratched. He said the coaches don't like it, but it has made them more aware of what we do right verses wrong.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches scratching officials...total garbage.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 01:46pm
Esteemed Participant

Control the things you can control, and don't worry about the things you can't control.

I would talk to the assignor to try to get some more information: Does the assignor feel that I am too buddy-buddy with Coach B? Does the assignor feel that Coach A had a legitimate gripe? Why exactly did assignor remove me?

After that conversation, move on and don't worry about it.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 02:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

That's what you get for having an assignor that's a guuurrrrrrlll.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Some coaches are paranoid by nature. You are personally better off not doing the game. Assignors with a "backbone" that keep you on this game are doing you no favors. Good assignors put you in positions where you and your crew have the greatest chance of success in your games. In this case, your best-case scenario is survival without damage. I've seen threads about moving up too fast. Damage in officiating relationships between us and coaches/players is extremely hard to fix. Sometimes it is impossible to fix. Fair or not, often the best choice for an official is to avoid these situations. If you are good, it only affects your ego. If you're really good, your ego won't be affected by paranoid coaches.

There are plenty of other assignments out there. My guess is you'll get more than your share of those.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am cordial like I am with all coaches.
What you view as "cordial" might be perceived by others as "chummy."

Just food for thought.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Accept it and go on. I once had a coach ask that I not be assigned to his conference tourney game. Why? Because I had whacked one of his players and him the game before. Did it bother me? Can you say, "Nope!"

Once had a soccer coach refuse to speak to me in a pre-game because I gave his best player a red card a few days before for throwing a Mike Tyson haymaker at an opponent. Did it bother me? Can you say, "Nope." And, if he had asked for an explanation of a call during the game, I would have reminded him that he had made it clear he did not want to talk to me and he would have heard nothing in the way of an explanation. Just doing it his way.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

you can ask your assignor why. and move on from there.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
Did you just call his assignor a coward?