The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 10:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

I work in a state where the schools hire officials for non-conference games and where league commissioners hire officials for conference games. There are officiating associations, but they have no game assigning function. Membership in an association is not mandatory and many officials do not belong to an association.

Last season I was working a girls varsity game -- a horrible game, by the way -- where the visiting coach came up to us at the table at halftime (they had cleared the table area, but he came back) and told me he had some nonconference games for next season we could have.

I told him to contact us later, that this wasn't the time. We finished the game.

Having a sneaking suspicion we were being worked, I decided to call him on it the next week. Since he HAD offered us games, he scheduled us for 2 of his nonconference girls games for this season.

As this season marched on, I dreaded the idea of working those two games. One, I had worked only 2-3 girls games all season, and I was really getting into the idea of working only boys basketball. Two, I knew exactly what kind of a coach, and man, this guy was, since it was obvious he was working us at the game last season.

First game came around, and fortunately, I had to be out of town on business. I gave the game to my (now) regular high school partner. When he arrived, the coach wondered aloud where I was and then claimed that I had "begged" him for those games. Of course, I had informed the AD weeks earlier, to the point where the reminder postcard went to my replacement, not me.

Saturday was game #2. I had no excuse, so I went and worked it.

It was the most brutal display of girls basketball I have ever seen. We called more than 10 fouls on the visiting team in the first quarter. All clear fouls taking advantage/disadvantage into account. At one point, the fouls were something like 10-1 in favor of the home team.

After I had called the first foul on the home team (after the first five were on the visiting team) the home coach was upset. It was a simple PC foul -- guard lowers her shoulder and tries to plow through a defender.

At this point, the coach turns to the AD (who was sitting right in front of my wife) and asked whether our contracts were renewed for the next season. She said no -- and he said don't bother, that we were terrible. She agreed with him and said, "They are bad." That was it, scratched, and still in the first quarter.

The game was close, but awful the entire way. About 10-15 double dribbles and travels and lots of fouls. Two player technicals, too, the first I've called all season.

At the end, the home team lost, mainly because of awful coaching. With 10.4 seconds left, the home team had the ball on the baseline in the backcourt (and could run the baseline) down two points. Both teams in double bonus. Coach burns ALL THREE of his remaining time outs at this point -- 2 fulls followed by a 30 -- and doesn't even put his team on the floor after the first full, just requests another.

Ball is brought up and there's a trap at halfcourt. Girl loses the ball -- hey, would've been nice to have a timeout there -- and the home team fouls the girl that comes up with the ball. She sinks the first to make it a 3 point game and misses the second. Home team gets the rebound -- a timeout would've been nice here too -- instead the player gets it to about halfcourt and heaves up a 35 footer with about 2 seconds left. Shower time.

We get to the car and on the way home I commented about how there's one school I will be happy to never work again.

My wife then tells me about the coach's comment to the AD and by the time I drop my partner off at my car I've chalked it up to our system and the coach and realize that the coach has done me a favor since I won't have to lie and tell him I'm booked on a night even if I'm not.

Maybe I'll just send him the URL to this
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 11:15am
Ref Ump Welsch

I think you might want to report the coach and the AD to the state association and the school's administration. They slandered you in front of an audience. Good thing your wife was there, as she can be the witness who can say they did say those things. This would not be tolerated here, and I know if it did happen here, the school's administration would suspend both the AD and the coach. Matter of fact, I would almost say those two might want to start looking for a new job.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Rich-

That is the bummer about our system in WI for non-conference games. My partner and I feel the same way. E-mail me where you were so I don't make the same mistake.

Mark
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Rich, ditto me on the email. I would guess that it includes a direction in the school title (an in N, S, E or West).

Mregor
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Wink No problem

What a guy ... the coach that is.

We have the option in our association of scratching ourselves from schools that we do not want to work.

Works quite well.

And I love it when one of the old coaches asks why he hasn't seen me in a while. "Well coach, I don't have to come to your place if I don't want ..."

What's even better is when they see me and complain about who they have been getting. "Well coach, you really want to know ..."

Thanks
David
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 12:33pm
Administrator

Ohio is no different than where you are from Rich, only it is even worse, because the coaches tell the conference assigners who to hire.

Ten years ago a girls' H.S. varsity coach saw me officiate his team in a summer camp. He had his AD contact me to officiate a non-league game that winter. With about six minutes left in the game I tossed him. I did not go looking to toss him, he just did not like my officiating that game and he decided to hang himself for me. My partner and I had a great laugh about it in the locker room after the game.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

sounds like a bad system of assining. you guys like it?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 02:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
sounds like a bad system of assining. you guys like it?
Umm, no. Some league commissioners will ignore emails or letters from officials entirely. Even experienced officials, preferrring to stay with the same few every season.

I liked it much more when I belonged to an association that trained, promoted, and scheduled you. You got varsity when you were ready and you didn't have to call, email, and write to ask for games. And when the coaches deserved to be disciplined, you didn't have your schedule used as a weapon against you.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Seems to me that having the schools pick and choose who gets assigned to their games is a huge advantage to the home team. As objective as we're supposed to be, I'm sure there are guys out there who depend on the game fees to the extent that they would be extremely inclined to not bite the hand that feeds them. I would guess the home coaches would be able to get away with a lot more than the away coaches in some official's minds. It just seems radically unfair. I'm glad I've never worked in a place where those guidelines are in effect.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

This system is so polluted with conflicts of interest I'm surprised anyone still uses it.

These states need to get out of the dark ages and join the 21st century.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Feb 2nd, 2004 at 11:50 PM]
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
This system is so pulluted with conflicts of interest I'm surprised anyone still uses it.

These states need to get out of the dark ages and join the 21st century.
I'm SOOOOOO thankful that I don't have to worry about such BS.

Unfortunately, they still use this crap system in many states.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Man that's bad stuff

My question would be why do they still use such an antiquated system?

I guess there's not enough push from the officials to correct it??

Our state is behind in most everything else but at least in this we are way ahead.

Thanks
David
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
.. I'm sure there are guys out there who depend on the game fees to the extent that they would be extremely inclined to not bite the hand that feeds them. I would guess the home coaches would be able to get away with a lot more than the away coaches in some official's minds..
Dave, I think this is where the word HOMER came from...
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Luckily in TN the local officials' associations assign officials to each game, and they use a computer program to make sure people get spread around evenly. But this still doesn't stop some of the politicking within the associations for the "big" varsity games and the least amount of travel. It's nearly impossible for a new guy to get a varsity game within his first 3 or 4 years in some associations, while in others they get varsity games the first year.

But it's still better than what you guys are talking about.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 06:48am
Administrator

Re: Man that's bad stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
My question would be why do they still use such an antiquated system?

I guess there's not enough push from the officials to correct it??

Our state is behind in most everything else but at least in this we are way ahead.

Thanks
David

Why does OhioHSAA use such a stupid system? Because the inmates run the asylum. I am so sorry, I mean the coaches run the OhioHSAA and they will never admit that they have no clue about officiating except that a good official is one who's call all favor their team.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio