The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 05:47am
Official Forum Member

Question Posession arrow?

The possession arrow is a relatively new addition to FIBA (aka metric) rules. I have been told that the main reason it was introduced was due to the inability of referees to throw a ball up accurately, and use the appropriate rules, for a jump ball.

Any thoughts? When was the AP introduced for nfhs/NCAA? I for one MUCH prefer jump balls - especially when the defence ties a ball up, only for it to be given back to the other team...IMHO.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 07:16am
Lighten up, Francis.

I would prefer the jump ball for college, where we don't really get too many per game. But at the high school level, some games would take forever if we had to line up for all the jumps.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 07:27am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I would prefer the jump ball for college, where we don't really get too many per game. But at the high school level, some games would take forever if we had to line up for all the jumps.
It's a good point. Seems the younger the age group the more jump balls you have. I've had some younger games (7/8. 9/10) that had 25/30 jump balls! Talk about no flow or rhythm. Thankfully, I've asked not to do those games anymore.....

(Billy Mac will be along shortly to advocate for the coin flip).
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 07:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

This Time, You Bring The Coin ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Billy Mac will be along shortly to advocate for the coin flip.
Thanks for the invitation, but I already made my last plug for 2008 in another thread. You regulars don't need to hear my whole argument more than once, or twice a year. See you next year. I think I'll go outside now, and practice tossing into the hoop on my driveway.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

FOr those of us who can remember, the AP was brought in because the officials could not throw the ball perpendicular and straight. Many jump balls were called back because of the officials not being able to throw the ball correctly.

Admittedly, I like the rule for JV and under. Varstiy - I am okay with it. But the jump ball should be brought back in college.

I went to a camp one year. One of the supervisor's had a 1/2 hour class on hour to throw the ball up correctly. I have had no problems since. We don't practice throwing the ball up as a whole profession. I practice at the gym. I take a weighted ball and practice my throws.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 01:03am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I want to say AP was introduced to NFHS Rules circa 1985-87 because we used it during at least one of my years of CYO basketball.

I still remember how during the first year of the AP arrow, an official told my dad -- who would serve as a substitute timer for the school when nobody else was available -- that AP was changed on every inbounds pass.

I don't think I've been part of a lower level (MS or CYO) game with more than 22 AP throw-ins (yet). My 8½ x 11 3-part stat forms can handle 22 per sheet and my 8½ x 14 has boxes for 25, and I can't recall using the opposite page to track AP. I'm not sure I'd want to see that many held ball situations though.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball