The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Big Time HS holiday tourneys

Just watching a replay of the Old Spice HS tourney from last week in Ft Meyers, FL. Lots of big time teams and players during the week. A few questions came to mind while watching...

1- Tourney used 3 man crews- how are these assignments made? Is it local or do teams suggest a local official or two?

2- Have any of you participated in these types of tourneys? If so, are there any guidelines about how close to call the games? Do tourney directors view these events as showcases (ie lax on calls, let 'em play deals) or is it understood to call the games as you usually would?

While it was nice to see some of the big names from around the country, I was a little disappointed in the level of intensity in some of the games. Even the coaches seemed to be on best behavior...(St Pat's NJ coach Boyle actually wore a tie and only yelled at his team instead of everyone in the gym)

Any thoughts? Is this typical?

Z
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I should have put quotes around "big time"- Really, nobody has anything...?
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 11:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Well, I personally have never officiated a "big time" HS tournament.

There is a local tournament that is sponsored by a current NFL player and is played at a local D1 arena but it is assigned by our commissioner as he does all of our HS games.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 12:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Honestly, I do not know what you consider "Big Time."

I have worked many tournaments, but if you consider them "Big Time" is a relative term.

I am also sure that tournaments across the country have many different facets to them and the way they are assigned.

I have also only been told one time how to call a game. We did what we normally did in any game was best and laughed about the comments later.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 03:44am
Official Forum Member

I just finished working the 25th Iolani Classic here in Oahu, Hawaii. Where there was a 16 team field. 7 from the mainland, 1 from China and 8 local teams. We did not enforced dunking during warm-ups and we used the shot clock (35). Great games Championship came down to Double overtime.

Iolani Classic Hawaii Basketball Tournament

Teams were:
Fairfax (CA)
Iolani (HI)
Oak Hill Academy (VA)
Kaimuki (HI)
Dematha (MD)
Leilehua (HI)
LeFlore (AL)
Moanalua (HI)
Montrose Christian (MD)
McKinley (HI)
Putnam City (OK)
Mid Pacific (HI)
Whitney Young (IL)
Maryknoll (HI)
Tsinghua (China)
Kamehameha (HI)

Last edited by truerookie; Mon Dec 29, 2008 at 03:46am.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 08:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
I just finished working the 25th Iolani Classic here in Oahu, Hawaii. Where there was a 16 team field. 7 from the mainland, 1 from China and 8 local teams. We did not enforced dunking during warm-ups and we used the shot clock (35). Great games Championship came down to Double overtime.

Teams were:
Fairfax (CA)
Iolani (HI)
Oak Hill Academy (VA)
Kaimuki (HI)
Dematha (MD)
Leilehua (HI)
LeFlore (AL)
Moanalua (HI)
Montrose Christian (MD)
McKinley (HI)
Putnam City (OK)
Mid Pacific (HI)
Whitney Young (IL)
Maryknoll (HI)
Tsinghua (China)
Kamehameha (HI)

Well, the 2 teams from Maryland and 1 from VA would be considered big-time. Guess that makes you a 'big-time' official.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 11:33am
Huck Finn

Quote:

Teams were:
Fairfax (CA)
Iolani (HI)
Oak Hill Academy (VA)
Kaimuki (HI)
Dematha (MD)
Leilehua (HI)
LeFlore (AL)
Moanalua (HI)
Montrose Christian (MD)
McKinley (HI)
Putnam City (OK)
Mid Pacific (HI)
Whitney Young (IL)
Maryknoll (HI)
Tsinghua (China)
Kamehameha (HI)
LeFlore is a top team in Mobile. Oak Hill, Montrose Christian and DeMatha are national programs and Fairfax is a power in California. I would think this was probably one of the best holiday tournaments going.

Who won the tournament? Wow, I've moved around so much I've officiated 3 out of those 4 teams. The ironic thing is the only one of those 4 I haven't officiated is now the closest (LeFlore is only 50 miles from me now).
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Most of the Holiday Tournaments in Florida -- and there are several that draw teams from a national level -- are sanctioned by FHSAA -- So FHSAA officials are used. Most of the time, the local association assigns these games -- but not always.

There was some conflict in my old association in Orlando several years ago, about guys (and gals) turning back games assigned by the association to work tournament games assigned by an individual working for a particular tournament. That individual was assigning officials from all around the state (all FHSAA officials, but most of the top level officials from around the state).

The next year, the games for that particular tournament were assigned by the local association. The year after that, I moved to Ohio and haven't gotten to officiate since then.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Putnam City no slouch

Putnam City in OKC no slouch either. Ranked #24 nationally. Has #1 HS player in the country according to ESPNU - Xavier Henry.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Well, the 2 teams from Maryland and 1 from VA would be considered big-time. Guess that makes you a 'big-time' official.
Nah, not no where near "big time", I can assure you there were some great games during this tournament.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMan View Post
Putnam City in OKC no slouch either. Ranked #24 nationally. Has #1 HS player in the country according to ESPNU - Xavier Henry.
Yeah, he was here. However, he did not play had some type of injury.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=tomegun;562401]LeFlore is a top team in Mobile. Oak Hill, Montrose Christian and DeMatha are national programs and Fairfax is a power in California. I would think this was probably one of the best holiday tournaments going.

Who won the tournament?

Oakhill won it!
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

That's too bad. I think they would have given Oak Hill a run for their money. Xavier is a 6'6" 220 lb. shooting guard that will be going directly into the NBA (Memphis wants him). He's the best shooting guard I've ever seen. One player Oak Hill did not get.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Teams were:
Fairfax (CA)
Iolani (HI)
Oak Hill Academy (VA)
Kaimuki (HI)
Dematha (MD)
Leilehua (HI)
LeFlore (AL)
Moanalua (HI)
Montrose Christian (MD)
McKinley (HI)
Putnam City (OK)
Mid Pacific (HI)
Whitney Young (IL)
Maryknoll (HI)
Tsinghua (China)
Kamehameha (HI)
Fanboy alert.............. Did you do the Whitney Young game? Jordan's son, Marcus is on the team and IMHO highly overrated yet a good player.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Fanboy alert.............. Did you do the Whitney Young game? Jordan's son, Marcus is on the team and IMHO highly overrated yet a good player.

I actually did do the Whitney Young / Putnam City game. Whitney Young won. I viewed him as a player who plays within his team system and not try to be a superstar because of his surname.