The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Backcourt Question

12 seconds left tie game:

Team A inbouding the ball and has to go the length of the court.
Team A rolls the ball in bounds and the ball comes to rest roughly five feet away from the mid court line. Team B is scared to go after the ball for whatever reason (foul etc etc) and Team A doesn't grab it either.

Ball sits there for 10-20-30 seconds. Do you have anything?
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Instruct A to "play ball". If they don't, I have a T for allowing the game to develop into an actionless contest.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 09:45am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Instruct A to "play ball". If they don't, I have a T for allowing the game to develop into an actionless contest.
Does A have bear more responsibility to prevent the game from developing into an actionless contest because they had the throw-in?
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Does A have bear more responsibility to prevent the game from developing into an actionless contest because they had the throw-in?
Since there is no team control on a throw-in, can't say A has any more responsibility than B. Also cannot see why A would gain any advantage by doing this. Also cannot see why B would be afraid, it's 5 on 4. Also cannot see this ever being done.....
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't have my rule book in front of me, but seems to me like A has done their part by inbounding the ball. B has just as much right/responsibility for preventing an actionless contest for an unclaimed live ball as A does. I'd blow the whistle, warn both head coaches about preventing an actionless contest, then resume play with a throw-in from the previous spot by team A. If both teams continue without action, then I'd blow my whistle, declare the game over (score still tied), and let the league administrators sort out how they want to continue the contest, if at all.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
Don't have my rule book in front of me, but seems to me like A has done their part by inbounding the ball. B has just as much right/responsibility for preventing an actionless contest for an unclaimed live ball as A does. I'd blow the whistle, warn both head coaches about preventing an actionless contest, then resume play with a throw-in from the previous spot by team A. If both teams continue without action, then I'd blow my whistle, declare the game over (score still tied), and let the league administrators sort out how they want to continue the contest, if at all.
Would you not instead declare regulation time over and proceed tot he overtime session?
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would you not instead declare regulation time over and proceed tot he overtime session?
No, I wouldn't. First, I don't think there is any rule that allows us to do what you say. Secondly, Both teams had their chance to finish the game in legal fashion but chose not to. By declaring it over on the spot, the league can then decide whether to pick up where they left off (tie score, 12 seconds left, team A throw in), or they could just cancel the game entirely. We've done our part, let the league admins sort out this mess.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
No, I wouldn't. First, I don't think there is any rule that allows us to do what you say. Secondly, Both teams had their chance to finish the game in legal fashion but chose not to. By declaring it over on the spot, the league can then decide whether to pick up where they left off (tie score, 12 seconds left, team A throw in), or they could just cancel the game entirely. We've done our part, let the league admins sort out this mess.
I guess I was trying to determine what rule allows you to re-do the throw-in.

If it's 2-3, then I think 2-3 could apply with going right to OT.

I do like the idea of the league figuring it out.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

AFAIK, there are no exact "parameters" in the rule book for this situation. However, I believe the spirit and intent is that the offense must force the action. I offer as argument the following:
  • The 10 second backcourt count, 10 second free throw count, 5 second throw-in count, and the 5 second closely guarded count. Each of which is designed to force the offense to "do something" to move the game along.
  • There is no specific rule that forces the defense to advance the action.

However, NFHS 10-1-5, the "actionless contest" rule lists a goodly number of both offensive team and defensive team infractions. So it could just as effectively be argued that both teams have a responsibility to keep the game moving. You could warn them both, and potentially T them both.

Call me evil, but I'd rather single out the offense. Fair or not, they have the most to lose from a T. To me, that smells like motivation.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:38am
Lighten up, Francis.

What if the ball "accidentally" bounces off the official and goes out of bounds?
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

No action for 20 seconds? Declare the game a soccer game, end in a tie, and send everyone home with a medal, no matter if they participated in the game or not.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess I was trying to determine what rule allows you to re-do the throw-in.

If it's 2-3, then I think 2-3 could apply with going right to OT.

I do like the idea of the league figuring it out.
The whistle kills the play. The throw-in never ended. POI is the throw-in by A at the original spot. No 2-3 required.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:41am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
What if the ball "accidentally" bounces off the official and goes out of bounds?
Actually, now that I've thought about it, it would be better if it accidentally bounced and hit a player. That way the clock would start.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

You could always combine the two. If it "accidentally" bounces off an official and then "accidentally" touched a player...
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:44am

Quote:
The whistle kills the play. The throw-in never ended. POI is the throw-in by A at the original spot. No 2-3 required.
What rule or mechanic says we are to blow the whistle? Just asking.