The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 25, 2008, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Looking for a mentor

Good evening and merry christmas to all. I am in San Diego and I am a new official. I am 34 male and interested in being a good referee. Are there any seasoned guys/gals out there who might be interested? Thanks, Rich
Old Thu Dec 25, 2008, 01:39pm
This IS My Social Life

In lieu of a Mentor

It may be difficult to come up with a mentor via a discussion board such as this. A mentor might better be sought in your local area, through your local association.
In lieu of a mentor, try these time-tested ways of getting off the ground and getting better:
1. Accept all the junior high assignments you can, and ask your assignor to match you with partners who can mentor you
2. Watch as many high school games as you can, taking notes on the mechanics of as many seasoned officials as you can
3. Get to know the rule book well, and use it to reference issues and topics brought up on this discussion board
4. Get to know the case book well, as it offers depth of application to the rules, bringing to real-life the principles found in the rule book
5. Get to know the officials' manual well, as it explains the 2- and 3-man mechanics you need to know
6. Ask your local association which basketball officials' camp to go to and register for it NOW. Go and learn in the crucible of the camp setting, and reregister to go again the following year
7. When you go and watch games officated by guys and gals you know, ask if you can be present for their pre-game, intermission, and post-game locker room meetings; don't go there to talk, go there to listen in and learn

Good ideas can also be found under a previous thread from about three weeks ago.

Don't be disappointed if you don't get someone to come forward as a mentor from this discussion board. That may be too tall an order to fulfill given the limitations of cyberspace.

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited by Freddy; Thu Dec 25, 2008 at 01:41pm. Reason: speeling mistaks
Old Fri Dec 26, 2008, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichGold View Post
Good evening and merry christmas to all. I am in San Diego and I am a new official. I am 34 male and interested in being a good referee. Are there any seasoned guys/gals out there who might be interested? Thanks, Rich
Gee Rich, this reads much like a looking for on Craigslist. However, I did find a website with officials associations on it in the San Diego area.

San Diego County CIF

I'm sure someone would be glad to talk with you in your area.

Everything Freddy has is spot on. Most crews will be glad to let you follow them in for pregame, halftime and post game. Take a pad and write down questions. "Why did you put your hands on your chest in looking at your partner?" (A. Informal signal of 10 players on the floor to partner) or "Why did you take the ball out on the side rather than baseline?" Let them talk about their issues and then ask questions. If something was a bit odd, they may already be planning on talking about it.

My son is a second year licensed official (still in HS) and is running the clock and scoreboard for a local Girls JV/V games. He has had plenty of good comments when he introduces himself as a new official and asks if he may join the crew at half and post game.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichGold View Post
Rich,

How's it going? My name's Ian and I'm with SDCBOA as well. I'm not exactly what you would call "seasoned", but I would be more than willing to help you out with whatever I can. Anything in particular?