The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

what's the call

Can you tie up a basketball ball from behind another player?
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

If I had string, yes...
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wngwng View Post
Yes. It's rare, but I've seen it done without fouling.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 05:25pm
This IS My Social Life

Variant on a Theme or Two

Instead of "over the back", would the fans yell "Around the back!"?

Instead of "reaching in", would the fans yell "He's reaching around!"?

Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 05:38pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Totally. When these happen, I read the intent of each player - moreso on the player with the advantageous position, and if s/he shows little to no desire to take the ball away, I have a quick whistle.

I also have a quick whistle in the dual-rebounding situation where continued contact will result in a player "on the back" of the opponent. This is what my area does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Instead of "over the back", would the fans yell "Around the back!"?

Instead of "reaching in", would the fans yell "He's reaching around!"?

Could be troublesome in co-ed games.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 06:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And It's Family Friendly ...

Quote:
"He's reaching around!"
Hey. Watch it. This is a G-13 rated Forum.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Totally. When these happen, I read the intent of each player - moreso on the player with the advantageous position, and if s/he shows little to no desire to take the ball away, I have a quick whistle.

I also have a quick whistle in the dual-rebounding situation where continued contact will result in a player "on the back" of the opponent. This is what my area does.
I am guesing that your quick whistle is for a held ball not a foul. In the first situation it seems like that would only happen at a very low level (young age) game and I can't imagine them being able to reach around cleanly. I don't doubt that it could happen without a foul, but it seems like it would be very unlikely without two willing participants. Of course a "reach around" usually has two willing participants.

I too like the call in the second situation. But the coach of the team that wants the "on the back" foul usually disagrees.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 07:49pm
This IS My Social Life

"Thumbs Up" for a Held Ball on this One?

Prelude to Question: I guess "reach around" has some indiscreet meaning with which I am not familiar. I'll have to be more careful, lest I offend the sensibilities of the likes of Billy Mac. Sorta like "hookin' up." I always thought that meant the same as "dating." I've recently been informed otherwise. I'm so '70's.

Question: Offensive player with both hands firmly on ball. Defender has one hand firmly on ball without making contact with offensive player. Offensive player moves hands and ball to other side of his body, and the defender's hand goes with the ball, which causes what looks like a foul.
Held ball is called, not the seeming foul which happened after the held ball. Right?

Postlude to Question: A clean "reach around held ball" was called in a boy's varsity game last night. Held ball achieved around another's back by a very tall, lanky, long-armed defender. Coach had no objection to the call.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 08:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen to bob, And Always Blame Mark Padgett ...

Quote:
I guess "reach around" has some indiscreet meaning with which I am not familiar. I'll have to be more careful, lest I offend the sensibilities of the likes of Billy Mac. Sorta like "hookin' up." I always thought that meant the same as "dating." I've recently been informed otherwise. I'm so '70'.
I only recently discovered what a reach around was after Mark Padgett used it for a few weeks as his signature. I did an internet search and discovered what it meant. If you plan on doing such an internet search, make sure your doing a web search, not a video, or image, search, or you may (or may not) be offended.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:08pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
I am guesing that your quick whistle is for a held ball not a foul. In the first situation it seems like that would only happen at a very low level (young age) game and I can't imagine them being able to reach around cleanly. I don't doubt that it could happen without a foul, but it seems like it would be very unlikely without two willing participants. Of course a "reach around" usually has two willing participants.
Correct - whistle for a held ball. Surprisingly, this play happens (once or twice a year type of frequency) with girl's ball. Even with the ~ 16 year-olds, who I think generally have a more aggressive attitude by that age.

I was once saw a girl stop, apologize for stealing a rebound from a teammate, and then continue. I don't understand girls sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
I too like the call in the second situation. But the coach of the team that wants the "on the back" foul usually disagrees.
I'm with ya: the one coach usually wants the foul.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:13pm
This IS My Social Life

Don't Say "R... A..." on the Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I only recently discovered what a reach around was after Mark Padgett used it for a few weeks as his signature. I did an internet search and discovered what it meant. If you plan on doing such an internet search, make sure your doing a web search, not a video, or image, search, or you may (or may not) be offended.
In search of further knowledge on the topic, I undertook the prescribed internet search, and . . . YIKES! Glad I took your advice and only did a web search!

Rats. Another perfectly good term hijacked by deviants.

What seemingly innocuous officiating terms will we have to avoid next?

O Tempora, O Mores
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What seemingly innocuous officiating terms will we have to avoid next?
I'm not sure I have been posting here long enough to go down this road, but judging the sense of humor most posters have, this could be hilarious!
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 06:58am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Very interesting.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 09:00am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Why do you ask? Can you descibe the play you saw?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

thanks for the replies

a player was dribbling, back to the basket, then stops the dribble. A tall lanky defender reaches around with both hands and ties up the ball from behind without making contact with the offensive player. I guess what I'm trying to find out is, what would the call be: jumb ball, reach in foul, no call...