The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Blue View Post
I think the flop is a place the rules committee should look at the severity of the penalty. Just like they did making it a violation to leave the playing court. They HAD to make the change because officials didn't have the testicular fortitude to enforce the penalty.

Too bad that we as officials decide to enforce our rules rather than the Fed rule book.
Too bad the Fed's basic MO is to take fairly minor infractions, and assign them such disproportionately severe penalties that nobody with any amount of perspective is willing to call it. If we forced the Fed to change the penalty for leaving the floor through our collective unwillingness to enforce their rule...

GOOD FOR US!!!

BTW, how many T's did you call for leaving the floor during those dark days, Man In Blue? I called exactly one. It took only once to understand that a six point swing was an unacceptably severe penalty to apply for a violation no more egregious than a throw-in violation or traveling.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Mon Dec 22, 2008 at 03:58pm.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
It took only once to understand that a six point swing was an unacceptably severe penalty to apply for a violation no more egregious than a throw-in violation or traveling.
It is not your job to decide the egregiousness of anything. It is your job to enforce the rules; this is no different than officials ignoring bench decorum POEs or refusing to enforce uniform rules.

Do you work football in the SEC? Yep, the crew called the wrong foul which resulted in a smaller penalty...it seems to have been done intentionally, not just a rule misapplication.

YouTube - Sideline Interference
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 05:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
It is not your job to decide the egregiousness of anything. It is your job to enforce the rules; this is no different than officials ignoring bench decorum POEs or refusing to enforce uniform rules.

Do you work football in the SEC? Yep, the crew called the wrong foul which resulted in a smaller penalty...it seems to have been done intentionally, not just a rule misapplication.

I believe this is accepted practice in football.

That said, why don't you answer BITS' question. How many did you call when it was a technical. The same problem applied to what is now the excessive swinging of the elbows violation. It was rarely, if ever, called when it was a technical.

Do you call a T on every flop you see?

It was one of those calls that (if done repeatedly) could end an officiating career due to the severity of the penalty.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
A veteran gave me a great piece of advice when I pass on a foul in this situation. He told me, after the play's over and the defender's on the floor looking pitiful, look right at him and wave for him to get up (open palm facing up, arm moving low to high).
At one state tournament I was working, we had our referee meeting on the night before the first day of games. The official's supervisor specifically mentioned that an official had given the "get up" signal the previous year and that he had better not ever see it again. For what it's worth.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Oh, so THAT's where all the Duke players went- to Europe to play soccer where they love the master thespians! At least Battie was good at it...

God, I hate flopping. Just a personal disgust...

Z
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

It's our job to work within the parameters set by the officiating community we work in.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

She Was The Best Flopper On The Team ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Hey, my daughter got a college scholarship doing Academy Award winning performances like these. Worked in high school soccer, didn't work as well in college soccer, officials allowed rougher play, but she still got a lot of calls her way.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Snaq's is a fair question. How many T's did you call for leaving the floor? How many did you call for excessively swinging elbows? Did you ever pass on a single violation of either of these rules? If so, how do you explain your hypocritical behavior?

Crickets? That's the best you can do?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
Oh, so THAT's where all the Duke players went- to Europe to play soccer where they love the master thespians! At least Battie was good at it...

God, I hate flopping. Just a personal disgust...

Z
the flop video is hilarious....I would have to change sports.....absolutely hilarious.....