The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The OP also noted that the refs screwed up by doing so. Your question seems to be about how to screw up correctly.

---From the OP---My question and discussion with other officials is where to put the ball into play after you turn the teams around so they are going the right direction. The rule book says to resume play with throw-in at POI. The POI was a made bucket by A. I said that I would have took the ball to the other end of the court (a's correct basket) and allowed B to run the endline. Others said they would have kept it in B's frontcourt and just administered a spot throw-in. Which do you think would be correct.---

Based on what the officials actually did (which was give B the points) then the throw-in would be for A (running baseline) under the basket they just scored in.

Now, if the OP was asking if they handled the situation in general correctly, the answer would be no. If both teams and officials went the wrong way, score the points as though they happened in the correct basket, in other words, A gets the points they scored, and then administer the throw in (in this case an end line w/ ability to run) to B under A's correct basket.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texref View Post
---From the OP---My question and discussion with other officials is where to put the ball into play after you turn the teams around so they are going the right direction. The rule book says to resume play with throw-in at POI. The POI was a made bucket by A. I said that I would have took the ball to the other end of the court (a's correct basket) and allowed B to run the endline. Others said they would have kept it in B's frontcourt and just administered a spot throw-in. Which do you think would be correct.---

Based on what the officials actually did (which was give B the points) then the throw-in would be for A (running baseline) under the basket they just scored in.

Now, if the OP was asking if they handled the situation in general correctly, the answer would be no. If both teams and officials went the wrong way, score the points as though they happened in the correct basket, in other words, A gets the points they scored, and then administer the throw in (in this case an end line w/ ability to run) to B under A's correct basket.
The problem is that what the OP wrote and I have put in red is not true.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The problem is that what the OP wrote and I have put in red is not true.
But that doesn't affect anything in this play. The official recognized the wrong direction after A scored and before B threw the ball in. The crew scored the bucket for B (which is incorrect if both teams and officials went the wrong way). The question asked was is this a spot throw in or a running throw in? Also, which endline. I said (correctly) that if the officials scored the points for B, then it is A's ball for a running baseline throw-in under the basket that A just scored in. What is wrong with that?
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Well, Tx, I agree with you. It is a running throw-in either way because someone just scored.