The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Held Ball? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50398-held-ball.html)

IchiRef Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:54am

Held Ball?

A1 is lying on the floor and has the ball in his arms. B1 reaches in and gets an entire hand on the ball and keeps it there for a while (one hand only) while A1 is making no attempt to pass the ball...I was patient to see how it developed (as i was unsure if held ball was correct), finally I called a held ball. right or wrong?

I am thinking wrong call.

Thanks

Adam Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:02pm

I'd probably have called this, too.

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:02pm

If that's not a held ball, what do you think the call should be? Or do you think it's a no call? Have you read the definition of a held ball in the rulebook?

Adam Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 559022)
If that's not a held ball, what do you think the call should be? Or do you think it's a no call? Have you read the definition of a held ball in the rulebook?

I'm guessing the hang up is on the use of the word "hands", as in plural.

IchiRef Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:07pm

while I do not have the rule book with me, it is my understanding that a jump ball is to be called with the players share control and I wasn't sure whether one hand on the ball by one player meant both had control...

Ch1town Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:07pm

A1 jumps to release a shot, B3 blocks the ball (with 1 hand) so it doesn't leave A1s hands & he returns to the floor.

Results in a held ball not a travel.

IchiRef Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 559026)
A1 jumps to release a shot, B3 blocks the ball (with 1 hand) so it doesn't leave A1s hands & he returns to the floor.

Results in a held ball not a travel.

I see this situation as very different. would it still result it a held ball if A1 was on the floor and passing?

Adam Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:11pm

Shared control is not necessary. If both players are prevented from gaining complete control without undue force, it's a held ball.

IchiRef Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 559031)
Shared control is not necessary. If both players are prevented from gaining complete control without undue force, it's a held ball.

thanks, this answers my question.

Ch1town Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IchiRef (Post 559030)
I see this situation as very different. would it still result it a held ball if A1 was on the floor and passing?

Extremely different, but "1 hand" is what the 2 share in common.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but by your OP I thought that was the reason for your concern.

mbyron Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 559035)
Extremely different, but "1 hand" is what the 2 share in common.

Only if they're conjoined twins. :rolleyes:

Adam Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 559106)
Only if they're conjoined twins. :rolleyes:

On opposing teams? :horror:

cubsfanllw Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:36pm

I had exactly the same thing last night in a VG game.

A1 has the ball laying on the floor in the frontcourt. B1 reaches in and puts one hand on it and just looks at me. I didn't see anything close to simultaneous possession. We all just sat there for what seemed like forever (maybe 2 seconds) and I finally called a held ball. Not sure what I should done (definitely not legal guarding position) and A1 was making no attempt to do anything with the ball. Something had to give.

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubsfanllw (Post 559118)
I had exactly the same thing last night in a VG game.

Conjoined twins? Were they wearing the same number? :confused:

Sorry - being from the South Side, I couldn't help teasing a Cubs fan. ;)

icallfouls Wed Dec 17, 2008 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 559111)
On opposing teams? :horror:

The school district boundary is divided top bunk and bottom bunk. :D