The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Overtime "pre-game"

Partner and I had our first overtime game of the season last night. We both felt a bit jumbled and tried to go over some stuff in the period between the fourth quarter and overtime.

Anyone have a good set of stuff you should always go over with your partner and the bench in the event of overtime?
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 11:25am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
As a minimum I usually talk about jump ball to start, maintaining direction, fouls carrying over, TO situation and additional TO's, and how long OT lasts.

At the lower levels and rec I like to bring the coaches together too and ensure we're all on the same sheet of music.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 11:26am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Anyone have a good set of stuff you should always go over with your partner and the bench in the event of overtime?
Short and sweet:

"Four minutes. We're gonna jump it up. Shooting the same way. Fouls stay the same, they have one more TO."
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 11:26am
Ch1town

You're going in the same direction...
Team/player fouls stand...
1 additional TO per team...
Partner, you put the kid on the line to win & he couldn't make 1 FT
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 11:28am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Or, in Mark's case - "Partner, how did YOU let this happen!?"
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 11:52am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

What's an "overtime"?
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

(Slight) hijack:

Had a coach who was behind use their last TO with about 3:00 left in the 4th. As they break the huddle, I let him know that was their last TO.

Coach: "Any way I can get another TO?"
Me: "You do get an additional TO in overtime."
Coach (while looking up at scoreboard): "Know any 27-point plays?"
Me:

Anyway, like Scrappy mentioned - short and sweet. Mention the bonus situation, the additional TO's, make sure the time added is correct, and away we go.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 12:01pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
(Slight) hijack:

As they break the huddle, I let him know that was their last TO.
Is this something we do by rule at the HS level?? I've always done this, but I was told last night by my partner who was the R & also a State Championship official "that nothing but trouble can come from doing that. And that is the assistant coaches responsibility".
Thoughts?
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 12:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Is this something we do by rule at the HS level?? I've always done this, but I was told last night by my partner who was the R & also a State Championship official "that nothing but trouble can come from doing that. And that is the assistant coaches responsibility".
Thoughts?
Yes, we are to inform them after they use their last TO. I don't, however, tell them when they're down to one left (I used to do that).
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thoughts?
Discussed ad nauseum on this site.

It depends on how you (or your area) interpret "The score shall notify a team through the closest official when a team has used its last time out." (or whatever the specific wording is.

Some say that means an official is supposed to do it. I'm in this camp.

Others say something like, "It's in the scorer's duties, not the official's duties, so I don't do it." (I admit that since I'm not in this camp that I might not be descrbing this position accurately.)

And, others notify a team on 1 time out left and / or zero. I don't -- only zero.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 12:11pm
Ch1town

Let me have a rules reference when you have a minute kind sir.

The Rs logic in not providing the info, was what if the table provides you with the wrong info & you give that to coach... now what??
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 12:17pm
#thereferee99

My first thought is that overtime is an extension of the 4th quarter. That sets clearly in my mind the task at hand. Each team gets an additional full timeout added to their remaining time outs, we will use the jump ball procedure to make the ball live. Its helpful to me to think about OT as being an extension of the 4th.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let me have a rules reference when you have a minute kind sir.

The Rs logic in not providing the info, was what if the table provides you with the wrong info & you give that to coach... now what??
Look in the "scorer's duties" section.

If you tell the coach s/he has none left, and s/he think s/he does, it will lead to a discussion right away and the correct answer will be found.

The R's logic, though, is why I don't tell a coach that s/he has one TO left.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 12:28pm
Ch1town

Will do, appreciate it!

In my sitch the R asked me to check TOs remaining since I granted the TO. I flashed 0 & I asked him to let her know since he was giving that team the 1st horn warning. He kinda looked me off & after the game I asked why. That's when he said letting them know they are out is nothing but trouble.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thoughts?
Point out to your partner 2-11-6 (Scorer's Duties): "Record the time-out information charged to each team (who and when), and notify a team and its coach through an official whenever that team is granted its final allotted charged time out."

So I always let a team know when they have used their last TO. As far as avoiding trouble, if trouble happens (due to a scorekeeper's mistake), it will happen whether I'm the one relaying the info or not, and we'll have to deal with it anyway.

(Used with permission.)