The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Angry Background Checks For Officials

I am writing out of concern for all student athletes.

It has come to my attention that referees and umpires are not subjected to background checks.

This is concerning because these officials often times are in the same locker rooms as the students.

One particular offical has come to my attention...(although I am sure there are more out there).

XXX has domestic violence convictions, assault convictions and 2 DUI convictions. A further search of his background shows drug charges 20 years ago in MA. XXX currently officiates IAABO Basketball, NHIAA Baseball and NHIAA Softball.

I am concerned that this person is of questionable character and is less than the role model we expect those whom are PAID to be around our children should be.

XXX is currently without his license due to his 2nd DUI conviction and is on probation for assault. Is this the kind of person we want around our athletes????

I believe that those whom are paid to be around our children should be held to the same ethics and standards as any teacher or other person employed by the school districts.

Without a background check, how can we be certain the people officiating our athletes are not pediphiles, drug dealers or similar unsavory characters.

I trust that you will agree with me and push for background checks on all officials and persons whom are "employed" on any level with the school. Especially those individuals whom are in positions of power and whom are in close contact with the students.

Last edited by mick; Tue Dec 16, 2008 at 10:00am. Reason: Removed name of individual
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

djmaryb,

I have removed the name as this is not the place to post. We do not know of this individual and can not prove any of the information you posted therefore please refrain from specific names.

All of that being said, I am a father of three and share your concern in that those that have access to our children be upstanding individuals. I have no problem agreeing to a reasonable background check of myself as part of my officiating credentials.

However, this is probably not the right forum to address this issue. You should be writing to your state/ governing body for extra curricular activities and voicing your concern.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 09:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaryb View Post

It has come to my attention that referees and umpires are not subjected to background checks.

This is concerning because these officials often times are in the same locker rooms as the students.

One particular offical has come to my attention...(although I am sure there are more out there).

XXX has domestic violence convictions, assault convictions and 2 DUI convictions. A further search of his background shows drug charges 20 years ago in MA. Mr. Bush currently officiates IAABO Basketball, NHIAA Baseball and NHIAA Softball.

I am concerned that this person is of questionable character and is less than the role model we expect those whom are PAID to be around our children should be.

XXX is currently without his license due to his 2nd DUI conviction and is on probation for assault. Is this the kind of person we want around our athletes????

I believe that those whom are paid to be around our children should be held to the same ethics and standards as any teacher or other person employed by the school districts.

Without a background check, how can we be certain the people officiating our athletes are not pediphiles, drug dealers or similar unsavory characters.

I trust that you will agree with me and push for background checks on all officials and persons whom are "employed" on any level with the school. Especially those individuals whom are in positions of power and whom are in close contact with the students.
I will get on board with this as soon as the schools or the state associations pay for it. Not me.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

In Missouri, we do a background check. I really don't know about your state, but we do in the show me state
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie View Post
djmaryb,

I have removed the name as this is not the place to post.
YOU DIDN'T GET IT ALL plase remove the rest of it.

djmaryb

I am curious where you got the information that you posted and secondly why did you feel the need to investigate this person and post this on an international WEBSITE that is not connected with your program?
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 09:59am
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaryb View Post

XXX has domestic violence convictions, assault convictions and 2 DUI convictions. A further search of his background shows drug charges 20 years ago in MA. XXX currently officiates IAABO Basketball, NHIAA Baseball and NHIAA Softball.

djmaryb,
As part of a concerned officials group, I am pushing for background checks on all parents.

It has come to my attention that parents and other relatives are not subjected to background checks.

This is concerning because these parents and relatives often times are in the rooms as the children.

Several particular parents have come to my attention through media reports [not merely heresay] ...(although I am sure there are more out there).

These parents have domestic violence convictions, assault convictions and DUI convictions. Further search of backgrounds show drug charges 20 years ago all over the united States and Canada and currently currently work in health care, education and security.

I believe that those whom are free to be around our children should be held to the same ethics and standards as any sports official or other person that spends numerous hours per week around the children.

Without a background check, how can we be certain the people teaching and looking after our children are not pedophiles, drug dealers or similar unsavory characters.

I trust that you will agree with me and push for background checks on all pepole and persons whom are free to be around children on any level in their lives. Especially those individuals whom are in positions of power and whom are in close contact with the students and non-students alike.
mick
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Regardless of one's point of view on the background check issue, this type of ranting is very, very dangerous. The use of the last name may or may not be intentional, but a public airing of somebody's dirty laundry is going in the wrong direction, IMO. Some of us might have access to verifying this information, and if it is NOT verified, djmaryb might be facing problems of her own.

I agree, take it to your local school boards, associations and state authorities. Don't bring it here. It is not remotely the correct forum.

Z
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 10:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm not against it, but I hardly think it's a cure-all. The contact officials have with athletes is, for all intents and purposes, supervised.

Maybe parents should stop letting their kids spend time alone with adults they don't know.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

My fellow forum members...Are any of you EVER in the same locker room with the players? I have never had this happen nor would I allow it to happen. I would dress in a closet before sharing a locker room with a participant in a high school contest.

-Josh
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
My fellow forum members...Are any of you EVER in the same locker room with the players? I have never had this happen nor would I allow it to happen. I would dress in a closet before sharing a locker room with a participant in a high school contest.

-Josh
At any level other than grade school ball I have never been in a lockerroom where participants dress and in those cases I wait for the room to be cleared before I would be present.

It isn't that anyone is necessarily against background checks what I am against and I think others also, is how they are handled and what the criteria for disqualification is, and the irrisponsible public airing of information that is really no bodies business who isn't invloved in your league.
So be careful what you go posting and where.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 11:40am
#thereferee99

Mick, thank you.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
YOU DIDN'T GET IT ALL plase remove the rest of it.

djmaryb

I am curious where you got the information that you posted and secondly why did you feel the need to investigate this person and post this on an international WEBSITE that is not connected with your program?
My mistake as I missed one reference. I see that Mick or Bob has fixed it.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

As Bud said,

In Missouri we do have do a background check. Here is the kicker, when you register online, you click a little box that says somethign to the nature of yes I submit to a background check. The thing is the fact that I know of 2 guys for sure just in my area who have been in some trouble. My thinking is they are looking for those officials whose names are already registered on the internet for something other than officiating, if you get my drift.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 01:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial View Post
As Bud said,

In Missouri we do have do a background check. Here is the kicker, when you register online, you click a little box that says somethign to the nature of yes I submit to a background check. The thing is the fact that I know of 2 guys for sure just in my area who have been in some trouble. My thinking is they are looking for those officials whose names are already registered on the internet for something other than officiating, if you get my drift.
Frankly, that ought to be about all they need to look for. Not sure anything else is relevant, to be honest.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

I am fine with back ground checks if I dont have to pay for it. Funny how mary hasn't been back to respond to any thing.

I vote we delete her fly by post.