The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

To get licensed in Kansas we have a background check as well; you are required to put it on your application if you've had any contact with the law. Lying on that form to a State institution would be bad news.

And I have NEVER been in the same locker room as a student.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I am fine with back ground checks if I dont have to pay for it. Funny how mary hasn't been back to respond to any thing.

I vote we delete her fly by post.
Why the opposition to paying for the check. In Oregon, it is treated as part of the dues...and I think it is only $3...and only once every three years...not exactly going to break the bank. They do them in bulk (along with all other school personnel).
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 04:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

My biggest objection is the availability of the information. Who gets to know what's on it? What disqualifies a person?

There are things in the OP that I don't think should matter. Frankly, I can't imagine anything other than sex offenders or recent drug convictions should matter. But some mom is going to be upset if she finds out Suzie's referee had a DUI 10 years ago; or too many speeding tickets last year.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
My association only requires us to sign a legally binding paper that we have never been convicted for any crimes involving minors.

And why on Earth would an official be in the same locker room as the players? I would rather change outside in the pouring rain. That's just asking for trouble.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 04:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've been in coach's offices where we had to ask a kid to leave (wrestling coach's son doing homework).

I've been in coach's offices that were located within a locker room; meaning we had to pass through the LR to get to our room. I've even had wrestling coaches bringing their wrestlers in the office to weigh in.

Again, I'm not opposed to the idea, I just want to know specifics before I submit.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
My association only requires us to sign a legally binding paper that we have never been convicted for any crimes involving minors.

And why on Earth would an official be in the same locker room as the players? I would rather change outside in the pouring rain. That's just asking for trouble.
Changing outside would get you into court on one of those crimes involving a minor.

I dressed in a, extra girl's locker room a few weeks ago. I had the AD walk through the locker room prior to me going in. Then I yelled into the locker room for anyone to speak up if they are in there. I don't want to put myself into any situation with a student.

-Josh
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Changing outside would get you into court on one of those crimes involving a minor.

I dressed in a, extra girl's locker room a few weeks ago. I had the AD walk through the locker room prior to me going in. Then I yelled into the locker room for anyone to speak up if they are in there. I don't want to put myself into any situation with a student.

-Josh
Yup, you can only hope that someone responds with "No one in here" so that you can be 100% sure the room is clear.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I've been in coach's offices that were located within a locker room; meaning we had to pass through the LR to get to our room. I've even had wrestling coaches bringing their wrestlers in the office to weigh in.
We have one venue where the officials change in the coach's office, and the office door opens into the girls' locker room. They put up a screen that's about 5' 8" high. It's quite a sight to watch the officials duck walk with their eyes closed out of that office...
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 08:09pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
My fellow forum members...Are any of you EVER in the same locker room with the players? I have never had this happen nor would I allow it to happen. I would dress in a closet before sharing a locker room with a participant in a high school contest.

-Josh
I never have, nor would I. But I'm just one person and I'm sure the orginal poster has more data to go off of to conclude officials and players dress in the same locker room than just assuming they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why the opposition to paying for the check. In Oregon, it is treated as part of the dues...and I think it is only $3...and only once every three years...not exactly going to break the bank. They do them in bulk (along with all other school personnel).
I would be in favor of paying three bucks every three years. But, I think the way most people are looking at it is that they would have to pay $XX every year to have a background check conducted on them.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
My biggest objection is the availability of the information. Who gets to know what's on it? What disqualifies a person?

There are things in the OP that I don't think should matter. Frankly, I can't imagine anything other than sex offenders or recent drug convictions should matter. But some mom is going to be upset if she finds out Suzie's referee had a DUI 10 years ago; or too many speeding tickets last year.
My recent true story. One of the local assignors has started the fingerprinting scan DOJ Homeland Security thing. Exaggeration intended.

I declined. For not the usual reasons but I don't get that many games from him, the games are last minute 3rd/4th grade type stuff and I'm not that interested in those games at all. So for me it was a no brainer. If my HS assignor went that way I would get my scan done.

So I'm talking to another official about it and he casually mentions that he heard I was passing on the scan. I'm thinking WTF. That was a little more then annoying that he told other people this info. I can only imagine if there was something of interest to talk about who would hear about it.....Just some food for thought.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

If working in Queensland (one of the states of Australia) referees must get a "working with children" clearance done by Queensland Police, however this is the only state that I know of in Oz that requires such a thing.

On the locker room issue - true story

A few years ago there was a transgendered player (biologically/physically a man, waiting to go through the op to restructure genitalia). Legally a t/g person is the same as a person born that gender - in this sitch a woman.

She was banned from playing in women's competition, won a court case to allow her. Team-mates refused to get changed with her in girls change room. She was told to use guys, she refused and took the matter back to court. Court ruled that a third changeroom had to be provided at every venue she played at...created quite a few logistical nightmares with offices/storerooms/etc being used as "changerooms"

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee