The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Why do we hand on the baseline

Breaking down film can be painful. I got a game film from a recent pre-season game. I noticed that I was getting pretty wide on throw-ins. So the next game, I "fixed" that. And learned the hard way, why my natural tendency is to get so wide on throw-ins. Otherwise I miss stuff.

So I'm back to getting out wide on throw-ins, and life is good again. But this whole experiment leaves me with a question:

Why do we hand the ball to the thrower on the end line in front court? Is there some good reason that I just can't fathom?
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

there is no advantage gained by bouncing the ball when on the baseline. once you had the ball to the inbounder, just take 1 or 2 steps away, if needed.

the reason we bounce the ball along the sidelines is to be in better position to officiate the current play and prepare to officiate the transition action if there is a quick steal on the inbounds pass.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I have the same question

I don't have an answer, but have the same question.

For two-man, the Officials Manual says
- Hand the ball if throwin is from the front-court end-line.
- Bounce the ball if throwin is from back-court end-line and there is no defensive pressure.

Seems the direction is to hand the ball if there are defenders around - but leaves me wondering why.

For three-man, back-court end-line throw-ins aren't specifically addressed.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Breaking down film can be painful. I got a game film from a recent pre-season game. I noticed that I was getting pretty wide on throw-ins. So the next game, I "fixed" that. And learned the hard way, why my natural tendency is to get so wide on throw-ins. Otherwise I miss stuff.

So I'm back to getting out wide on throw-ins, and life is good again. But this whole experiment leaves me with a question:

Why do we hand the ball to the thrower on the end line in front court? Is there some good reason that I just can't fathom?
Why do you want to get wide? If there is a quick pass into the middle of the lane there is a good chance that you will get blocked out and not have a good look...IMO.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Wide on Throw-ins is good alot of the time...

On the baseline if the ball is being thrown in, I would not want to be very wide. a step or two but not the typical 4-6 feet we are when we bounce it.. Thisnk about where the ball is and where the play is at... Would you normally referee wide if it was not a throw-in? Or would you be there to call the play?

Baseline throw-ins are more contested than not. By handing the ball to the player you can:
- Tell them it is a spot throw-in.
- tell the defender not to break the plane.
-Always puts the officials in the right spot...

Ever had a partner throw the ball across the paint on the baseline in the front court.... Ball is in your area for the throw-in...so who has what?

- Makes it easier to know ball is coming in ( I toot the whistle on nearly every baseline throw-in I will get beat up by those who say this is not the mechanic and there has to be a delay...but there are never any surprises...).

As Trail, you always need to see as much of the court as you can (Think about the primary responsibility of Trail. Trail always has the best look of the entire floor... As Train bouncing the ball gets us in better position as lead I am not so sure...

The NBA was bouncing balls to players years before we were. It is always a hand in on anything on baseline in FC..

My two cents....