The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

baseline

i just wanted to throw this out. Yet to have a complaint and would like to know what other umps think...
i believe for running to first is last half of the way they have the line and 3 feet to right.
what about when dropped third strike and runner is taking the path on either side. specially when ball goes in fair territory and he is inside foul line to make it a difficult throw for catcher.
Would you call anything? or is this not interference?
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1989
i just wanted to throw this out. Yet to have a complaint and would like to know what other umps think...
i believe for running to first is last half of the way they have the line and 3 feet to right.
what about when dropped third strike and runner is taking the path on either side. specially when ball goes in fair territory and he is inside foul line to make it a difficult throw for catcher.
Would you call anything? or is this not interference?
The "running lane" is in effect on the uncaught third strike. Merely running out of the lane is not interference, however.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

o.k.
yet it might not be interference.
running out the the base line is...if he knows to run inside the foul line to make a throw to first difficult, can this not be called a out for running out of the baseline if the catcher cannot make a throw because he is running in fair territory.
just a question
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

NO

If the catcher can't make the throw, he should have been taught to hit the runner in the back for the interference call.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

so if he hits the runner, do we call interference
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

If he is out of the running lane you do. you can also call it if the catcher throws the ball away into the Field, but it is a much harder sell.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
so if he hits the runner, do we call interference
Depends. The BR shall run in the running lane when there will be a throw from the plate area, usually from F2, but it could be F1, or maybe F5 and it's usually a bunt or third strike not caught. If he is out of the running lane and is struck by a quality thrown ball he shall be ruled out for interference. The quality thrown ball is important. Let's say he swings at strike 3 and the ball gets away from F2 to his right. The BR is running left of the foul line in fair territory and is struck by a throw from F2 who has retrieved the ball. The BR is struck 15 feet from the bag and the throw has no chance of reaching 1b. This is not a quality throw and we shall not call interference on this one. Or let's say the BR lays downa bunt and is running right of the running lane when he is struck by a throw that has no chance of reaching 1b, same thing, not a quality throw. The BR is not interfering with the thrown ball, but with F3's opportunity to catch it. If it's a bad throw then there is no interference with F3. Also, there can never be an interference call without a throw, again because he is not interfering with F3's right to catch it, if it wasn't thrown.

One exception in FED, there is an interp out there that says if F2 throws the ball over F3's head trying to lob it over the BR we shall rule interference on this. This is FED interp only, OBR would consider this to be a poor quality throw.

F2 should never be coached to intentionally throw at a runner or he will surely hit one with a poor throw someday and could cause an injury. He should be coached to do his best to make a good throw to 1b and let the chips fall where they may. If in so doing he hits the BR then the umpires will rule on it considering the position of the runner and the quality of the throw.

Last edited by DG; Sat Mar 17, 2007 at 12:18pm.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

The catcher should be taught that it is better to hit the runner, then to lob it past the firstbaseman.

Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
One exception in FED, there is an interp out there that says if F2 throws the ball over F3's head trying to lob it over the BR we shall rule interference on this. This is FED interp only, OBR would consider this to be a poor quality throw.
This is also an NCAA interp. I believe it was in the 2006 or 2007 preseason bulletin.

Also, for what it's worth, i've seen the "lob throw" called interference in an MLB game. It was a replay from about 1992 (NLCS i believe).
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Also, for what it's worth, i've seen the "lob throw" called interference in an MLB game. It was a replay from about 1992 (NLCS i believe).
I would not call that a rule setting precedent. A lob throw over F3's head is NOT a quality throw and the BR did NOT interfere with F3's ability to catch it.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
The catcher should be taught that it is better to hit the runner, then to lob it past the firstbaseman.
What I see taught is for F3, who is looking at the BR coming towards him, to hold glove out to the "open" side, away from runner, to give F2 a good target...
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

so back to my original question. Is it legal for a baserunner to run inside the foul line the last half of the distance to first base?
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
so back to my original question. Is it legal for a baserunner to run inside the foul line the last half of the distance to first base?

Yes, as long as he doesn't interfere with the throw from home plate area. It's NOT an automatic interference call if he's out of the lane. You have to consider factors discussed earlier in the thread.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Yes, as long as he doesn't interfere with the throw from home plate area. It's NOT an automatic interference call if he's out of the lane. You have to consider factors discussed earlier in the thread.
Interference of the throw is NOTHING. Interference of the CATCH, while out of the lane, is the violation.

As always, FED is the exception.

Quote:
Yes, as long as he doesn't interfere with the defensive player attempting to field the throw at first, he can run wherever he wishes.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
The catcher should not be taught anything of the sort.

The catcher should be taught to clear the running lane, ignore the BR, and throw to F3 as if there was no runner. If it turns out BR illegally interferes with a quality throw, you have an out.

Any coach teaching the catcher to hit the runner runs the risk of getting a no-INT call if the umpire rules the throw was a try to hit the runner as opposed to a quality throw to retire him.