The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Georgetown/Memphis

Memphis goes in for a shot, defender goes down, ref goes up with the fist, shot goes in, ref punches to the front. Was that a defensive foul with a made basket signal, or PC? Turns out it was PC, but it sure was confusing!!

Same ref, signals a carry by blowing the whistle, pointing toward the offensive end, then swinging that arm up and over his head and pointing the other way. Huh???

Same ref, as trail signals PC with one hand massaging his neck vigorously, whistle tweeting about twelve times, and hopping forward like a spring robin.

All good calls, btw, but very weird signals.

Who is this guy anyway???

Last edited by Juulie Downs; Sat Dec 13, 2008 at 04:02pm. Reason: to add judgment about calls
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Hightower, I think Burr and I don't know the third.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

I noticed that too...the answer is pretty simple....Its Ed Hightower. I like him but there is a good degree of drama when he calls a game. I would love to have heard the pre game with him and Burr. The palm call was a good one i thought. The block charge was ok i thought as well. On a related note...
GOD BLESS CLARK KELLOGG. Three things that he said that makes life easier:
1). You can take a charge while still moving...
2). Over the back is never a foul....through the back is.
3). POI in college is two hands on a defender is a foul....play defense with your feet.
Officials everywhere thank you Clark.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontheref View Post
I noticed that too...the answer is pretty simple....Its Ed Hightower. I like him but there is a good degree of drama when he calls a game. I would love to have heard the pre game with him and Burr. The palm call was a good one i thought. The block charge was ok i thought as well. On a related note...
3). POI in college is two hands on a defender is a foul....play defense with your feet.
Yup. Loved it.

I loved the play where Memphis got the wrap around steal from Gtown #31, and then #31 got back and took the charge. Great revenge!!
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 05:46pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Same ref, as trail signals PC with one hand massaging his neck vigorously, whistle tweeting about twelve times, and hopping forward like a spring robin.
I saw this game too. I'm not a fan of Hightower. Most of the time his mechanics look clownish and unprofessional, just like the one you described.

With the supply of outstanding officials in D1, I can't understand how he draws so many high profile games.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
With the supply of outstanding officials in D1, I can't understand how he draws so many high profile games.
He's a known quantity for the coaches. "Better the devil you know..."
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Kellogg is A-1....so glad he's the man at CBS now and not that azh clown Billy Packer.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 03:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I saw this game too. I'm not a fan of Hightower. Most of the time his mechanics look clownish and unprofessional, just like the one you described.

Because he gets plays right. He deals with coaches the right way and has their respect. He is from a different era of officiating and they are not getting rid of guys that are from that era just because their mechanics are not perfect.

And most of all the coaches would rather have Hightower (Burr, Welmer, Higgins....) on their games than some snot nosed kid they have never seen and does not know how to handle coaches or players properly.

It is that simple.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 05:00pm
Huck Finn

Rut,

I agree with you but one of those guys you mentioned is going to take the path of least resistance each and every time. Everyone knows it and they like it, but it is still a fact.

Who would you rather have, Hightower who has "unique" mechanics and gets plays right or one of the top officials out west who has "unique" mechanics and doesn't get nearly as many plays right? I'll take my chances with Hightower - especially since coach Knight isn't coaching.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Whaaa????
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 10:09am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Whaaa????
He meant POE (point of emphasis).
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 10:11am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Because he gets plays right. He deals with coaches the right way and has their respect. He is from a different era of officiating and they are not getting rid of guys that are from that era just because their mechanics are not perfect.

And most of all the coaches would rather have Hightower (Burr, Welmer, Higgins....) on their games than some snot nosed kid they have never seen and does not know how to handle coaches or players properly.

It is that simple.
Could not agree more. And, not to completely hijack this thread, that is the same reason many college officials continue to work deep in the high school post-season, even though there are very good officials who work only high school games available. That's just the way it is, not just in high school, but in college, too.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Jim Burr ,Ed Hightower ,Bryan Kersey were the three members of that crew
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
He meant POE (point of emphasis).

I know, I was just being a jerk.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 02:02pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I know, I was just being a jerk.
LOL, ok. When I didn't see a smilie, I thought maybe you were genuinely confused about why a handcheck would be the point of interruption. I'll try to switch on my humor plug-in now.