The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Georgetown/Memphis (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50325-georgetown-memphis.html)

Juulie Downs Sat Dec 13, 2008 04:01pm

Georgetown/Memphis

Memphis goes in for a shot, defender goes down, ref goes up with the fist, shot goes in, ref punches to the front. Was that a defensive foul with a made basket signal, or PC? Turns out it was PC, but it sure was confusing!!

Same ref, signals a carry by blowing the whistle, pointing toward the offensive end, then swinging that arm up and over his head and pointing the other way. Huh???

Same ref, as trail signals PC with one hand massaging his neck vigorously, whistle tweeting about twelve times, and hopping forward like a spring robin.

All good calls, btw, but very weird signals.

Who is this guy anyway???

muxbule Sat Dec 13, 2008 04:23pm

Hightower, I think Burr and I don't know the third.

jontheref Sat Dec 13, 2008 04:23pm

I noticed that too...the answer is pretty simple....Its Ed Hightower. I like him but there is a good degree of drama when he calls a game. I would love to have heard the pre game with him and Burr. The palm call was a good one i thought. The block charge was ok i thought as well. On a related note...
GOD BLESS CLARK KELLOGG. Three things that he said that makes life easier:
1). You can take a charge while still moving...
2). Over the back is never a foul....through the back is.
3). POI in college is two hands on a defender is a foul....play defense with your feet.
Officials everywhere thank you Clark.

Juulie Downs Sat Dec 13, 2008 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jontheref (Post 557902)
I noticed that too...the answer is pretty simple....Its Ed Hightower. I like him but there is a good degree of drama when he calls a game. I would love to have heard the pre game with him and Burr. The palm call was a good one i thought. The block charge was ok i thought as well. On a related note...
3). POI in college is two hands on a defender is a foul....play defense with your feet.

Yup. Loved it.

I loved the play where Memphis got the wrap around steal from Gtown #31, and then #31 got back and took the charge. Great revenge!!

Bad Zebra Sat Dec 13, 2008 05:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 557899)
Same ref, as trail signals PC with one hand massaging his neck vigorously, whistle tweeting about twelve times, and hopping forward like a spring robin.

I saw this game too. I'm not a fan of Hightower. Most of the time his mechanics look clownish and unprofessional, just like the one you described.

With the supply of outstanding officials in D1, I can't understand how he draws so many high profile games.

mbyron Sun Dec 14, 2008 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 557910)
With the supply of outstanding officials in D1, I can't understand how he draws so many high profile games.

He's a known quantity for the coaches. "Better the devil you know..."

Coltdoggs Sun Dec 14, 2008 09:49am

Quote:

Kellogg is A-1....so glad he's the man at CBS now and not that azh clown Billy Packer.

JRutledge Sun Dec 14, 2008 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 557910)
I saw this game too. I'm not a fan of Hightower. Most of the time his mechanics look clownish and unprofessional, just like the one you described.

Because he gets plays right. He deals with coaches the right way and has their respect. He is from a different era of officiating and they are not getting rid of guys that are from that era just because their mechanics are not perfect.

And most of all the coaches would rather have Hightower (Burr, Welmer, Higgins....) on their games than some snot nosed kid they have never seen and does not know how to handle coaches or players properly.

It is that simple.

Peace

tomegun Sun Dec 14, 2008 05:00pm

Rut,

I agree with you but one of those guys you mentioned is going to take the path of least resistance each and every time. Everyone knows it and they like it, but it is still a fact.

Who would you rather have, Hightower who has "unique" mechanics and gets plays right or one of the top officials out west who has "unique" mechanics and doesn't get nearly as many plays right? I'll take my chances with Hightower - especially since coach Knight isn't coaching. :D

fullor30 Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:06am

Quote:

Whaaa????

Scrapper1 Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 558290)
Whaaa????

He meant POE (point of emphasis).

Scrapper1 Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 558061)
Because he gets plays right. He deals with coaches the right way and has their respect. He is from a different era of officiating and they are not getting rid of guys that are from that era just because their mechanics are not perfect.

And most of all the coaches would rather have Hightower (Burr, Welmer, Higgins....) on their games than some snot nosed kid they have never seen and does not know how to handle coaches or players properly.

It is that simple.

Could not agree more. And, not to completely hijack this thread, that is the same reason many college officials continue to work deep in the high school post-season, even though there are very good officials who work only high school games available. That's just the way it is, not just in high school, but in college, too.

Clark Kent Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:00am

Jim Burr ,Ed Hightower ,Bryan Kersey were the three members of that crew

fullor30 Mon Dec 15, 2008 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 558294)
He meant POE (point of emphasis).

I know, I was just being a jerk.

Scrapper1 Mon Dec 15, 2008 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 558385)
I know, I was just being a jerk.

LOL, ok. When I didn't see a smilie, I thought maybe you were genuinely confused about why a handcheck would be the point of interruption. I'll try to switch on my humor plug-in now. :)