The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
Shooting the Technical

This is Part II test question, So post at your will

Do all 9 players other than the Free Throw shooter have to be behind the Division Line?

I couldn't for the life of me find the rule for this, Does anyone have the rule.

This is what I allow to happen, I keep all players out of visial site of shooter, normally this is about the 28' line or where it use to be.

I can't remember what I answered, figured if I only need 90% to pass, this one question among 2 or 3 others would get me a 95% so I didn't sweat being wrng or right but

Well now I want to know, so that it is forever writen in stone in my mind.

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 03:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't recall this question coming up so often in the past. The requirement on technical and intentional foul free throws is the same as for all non-lane players during normal free throws. IOW, behind three point line and above FT line extended. No requirement to remain out of the shooter's visual, no requirements to remain behind the division line.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

I agree this has been a popular question. Maybe it is easier to grasp if you think of why the lane spaces are not occupied during an intentional or technical FT. They are not occupied because the ball will not remain live after a missed FT and there is no need for rebounders. The ball will be put in play at the spot nearest the violation or at the division line when the FT's have ended.

It has nothing to do with giving the FT shooter an added advantage or the offending Team an added penalty.

Last edited by Scratch85; Fri Dec 12, 2008 at 03:12pm.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
I guess the fact that I couldn't find any mention of the applying specifics for a Techincal foul, one would conclude that normal free throw mechanics apply.

Sometime I wish it would just spell out things/rules or non-rules.

I guess we as officials have applied our own interurps, that they have spread to others.

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 03:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

This, in my opinion, is the biggest myth in basketball. It's the most widely held myth, at least.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This, in my opinion, is the biggest myth in basketball. It's the most widely held myth, at least.
More widespread than "over the back"?
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 04:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
More widespread than "over the back"?
Yes, and more widespread than "reaching" and the throwin travel. Everyone thinks they have to move back. I had a kid the other night on an intentional free throw walk up to the 3 pt line. His coach said something to him, then he walked back behind the division line.

I think more officials will require this of the players than will call "over the back" when there's no contact.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, and more widespread than "reaching" and the throwin travel. Everyone thinks they have to move back. I had a kid the other night on an intentional free throw walk up to the 3 pt line. His coach said something to him, then he walked back behind the division line.

I think more officials will require this of the players than will call "over the back" when there's no contact.
I have yet to see it in my area. But I always hear "over the back". Its either very wide spread in Georgia or I'm being stalked and the same guy is going to all of my games!
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 04:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
I have yet to see it in my area. But I always hear "over the back". Its either very wide spread in Georgia or I'm being stalked and the same guy is going to all of my games!
Really, when you shoot free throws for a T or X, all the players don't immediately retreat behind the division line?

BTW, that same guy comes to my games in Colorado. He brings his sister, though, and she's always counting to 3.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Well yes, but....

Quote:
Really, when you shoot free throws for a T or X, all the players don't immediately retreat behind the division line?

BTW, that same guy comes to my games in Colorado. He brings his sister, though, and she's always counting to 3.
Yes I do see them at the division line, now that you mention it. But I've never heard a coach or player say they had to do it. Really, until this thread, I've never thought about it.

Also, I get the three second call too. I even once got it while I was administering a throw in on the end line and the ball hadn't been released yet! Boy, these fans sure do get around. They come to your games and mine! Love to have their air miles. Next time their at one of my games, I'll tell them that your having a game too and that you miss them!
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 07:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Say No, But I'm Just The Keeper Of The List ...

Quote:
Third thread in less than a week regarding this issue. Is this a job for the Mythbusters?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)