The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

first T of the year

JV girls. T was on the varsity coach, a guy with over 600 career wins and a couple state championships. Early second quarter, I'm trail as visitor breaks press and goes toward hoop. Drive is from my side so I'm staying with it. Player has ball knocked out of her hands then regains it under hoop. JV Head Coach and the varsity coach (an assistant coach in this game) both want a travel--I'm in front of the bench so they are making their comments to me. I say "she lost it; can't travel without the ball coach" and the varsity coach answers "yes you can." I know he knows better and then he says "Where are you supposed to be on that one? Get off the court if you can't keep up" and I gave him the T.

After the free throws I went back over to tell the JV coach he had to sit and that was the end of it.

Late in the game the varsity coach asked me something during a timeout so I think he got over being mad at me. Final was visitors by 2 in OT on a last-second shot.

Thoughts? Quick trigger? This is a coach I respect as much as anyone in the local basketball community. I coached against him several times and while we were always overmatched he was encouraging and positive about my team and how we had been improving. Probably the last guy I'd want to stick if I had a choice, but I felt like the comment crossed the line, especially when I knew he was just trying to get in my head with the travel thing.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 08:00am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I'd've T'd him as well.

Last year, at our provincial finals, I'm doing a game with a good friend of mine. He ended up getting the Gold Medal game. A coach said something similar to him, and there was no T. The PTB made it clear that a T should have been called.

He sounds like a great basketball guy. If he's a fair and just person, he'd understand that you're doing your job and if the same happened in a game where you're officiating, and he is the other coach, the same call would be made.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 08:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
I know he knows better and then he says "Where are you supposed to be on that one? Get off the court if you can't keep up" and I gave him the T.
Thoughts? Quick trigger?
Too personal to pass on.
Ya done good.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Some T's require a quick trigger. This sounds like one of them.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 08:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
then he says "Where are you supposed to be on that one? Get off the court if you can't keep up" and I gave him the T.
From an assistant coach?

Good T.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 08:27am
Huck Finn

Quote:
...they are making their comments to me.
I think you shouldn't have said anything. Answer questions, not comments.

I also think officials shouldn't worry about Ts so much. Stick and move!
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 09:08am
Courageous When Prudent

That was an easy 'T', don't know why you are even giving it a second thought.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I'd've T'd him as well.

Last year, at our provincial finals, I'm doing a game with a good friend of mine. He ended up getting the Gold Medal game. A coach said something similar to him, and there was no T. The PTB made it clear that a T should have been called.

He sounds like a great basketball guy. If he's a fair and just person, he'd understand that you're doing your job and if the same happened in a game where you're officiating, and he is the other coach, the same call would be made.
Holy cow JR, I thought I was the only one who ever did that?!? I combine two contractions all the time (in informal writing, ie email). I've dubbed them double contractions It drives my lady and family nuts because it's difficult to read. You just made my morning!

-Josh
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Good time to pull the trigger BTW. If I were the JV coach I would pull that trick on the Var coach the next game and see how he likes sitting on the bench No reason to question a personally directed comment like that

-Josh
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 09:59am
#thereferee99

Great T. Sounds like the Asst Coach (Varsity guy) knew exactly what he was doing, knew exactly what he was saying. I'm not surprised at all that later he asked you a question seeming to have 'got over it'. I suspect he was 'over it' while it was happening, and just pushing buttons, seeing where you were at.

The one thing I would pick at... your partner should be the one to inform the JV coach about seatbelt (as you administer the throws). Don't put yourself in that proximity post-T for more abuse/altercation/headgames.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 10:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

a capital offense ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Holy cow JR, I thought I was the only one who ever did that?!? I combine two contractions all the time (in informal writing, ie email). I've dubbed them double contractions It drives my lady and family nuts because it's difficult to read.
my daughter sends me emails that look like this. no capital letters. i guess that the shift key on her keyboard must be broken. my son's college roommate sends me similar emails. must be the same brand of keyboard.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I think you shouldn't have said anything. Answer questions, not comments.
This was my thought. Your reacting to the comments about traveling was the occasion of the coach's personal remark. I'm NOT saying his remark is your fault, nor do I think you were wrong to whack once he made it.

Better game management is to employ tomegun's tactic.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 11:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
This was my thought. Your reacting to the comments about traveling was the occasion of the coach's personal remark. I'm NOT saying his remark is your fault, nor do I think you were wrong to whack once he made it.

Better game management is to employ tomegun's tactic.
Yeah, most times.
But sometimes when a coach (an assistant coach!) misinterprets a rule, it's just a reflexive action to set him straight. And PACoach did that, straight and to the point.

Someone wrote something like, "No, I don't think before I speak. I like to hear it for the first time with everybody else."
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
my daughter sends me emails that look like this. no capital letters. i guess that the shift key on her keyboard must be broken. my son's college roommate sends me similar emails. must be the same brand of keyboard.

this coming from the guy who isn't using cap letters in his own post. sorry, just found that ironic.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 12:09pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk View Post
sorry, just found that ironic.
It's good that you found it ironic, since that was pretty much the point.