The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

OOB throw in NCAA-W

I was watching the end of the Michigan vs. Notre Dame women's game and ND had a throw in on the side opposite the table. They were called for a violatoin - it looked to me like the thrower went more than the 3' alotted (assming that the rule here is the same as the Fed rule).

I know that I shouldn't listen to the commentators, but they said that she couldn't lift her pivot foot when she's on the sideline. Given it's a different rule set than what I know I didn't know if this "pivot foot" was one of the differences or if they were just being the same talking heads that I should ignore.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Ignore them. The rule is the same as at the NFHS level.

The traveling and dribbling rules are not in effect during a throw-in.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Yeah, ignore them. Most commentators dont have a clue about the rules and just speculate. I had the opportunity to sit behind some in a high school game that was on the radio and they really dont have a clue.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 09:12am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
Most commentators dont have a clue about the rules and just speculate. I had the opportunity to sit behind some in a high school game that was on the radio and they really dont have a clue.
I have a friend that does the local radio broadcast and also helps officiate in our young kids rec league. I walked into a game one night as a spectator and stopped near the table, thinking it would be interesting to see the game and hear the commentary at the same time. About the time I got there, a foul was called, and I heard this guy comment, "I think that should have been a travel." I really hadn't seen the play, which had occurred as I walked in, but I was interested to see where the critique of the play would go from there. My friend had seen me standing there and knew I had heard his remark about the play. I instantly became part of the broadcast. He called me by name, "My friend who is an official has just walked in, and he knows a lot." I nodded.
This pumped him up. "He nodded his head. He agrees it was a travel," he said to the 12 listeners in radio-land. I corrected him. "No, I was agreeing with you when you said I knew a lot." Knowledge, like most everything else, is relative.

Lonesome Dove