The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Under the basket throw in position.....

During a spot throw in, wheredo you all like to put the ball into play? I used to put it in about a step away from the lane area but now prefer to move about 1/2 way to the three point area to minimize the possibility of contact with the backboard. I sometimes have a little problem getting the players to come out to where I'm standing so I'll wave them over or I'll tell them to stand on a letter on the baseline (from the mascot or school name painted on the baseline).

Does bringing the player further out towards the three point line help the game or should I go back to putting it in play closer to the lane?
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
During a spot throw in, wheredo you all like to put the ball into play? I used to put it in about a step away from the lane area but now prefer to move about 1/2 way to the three point area to minimize the possibility of contact with the backboard. I sometimes have a little problem getting the players to come out to where I'm standing so I'll wave them over or I'll tell them to stand on a letter on the baseline (from the mascot or school name painted on the baseline).

Does bringing the player further out towards the three point line help the game or should I go back to putting it in play closer to the lane?
If the ball goes out under the basket, or if there's a foul in the paint, the throwin spot should be right next to the lane. Give them the correct spot that they deserve.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

The throw-in spot is the closest spot of the violation or foul. Why would you take it out wherever is easiest for you? I'm with Snaqwells

-Josh
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Moving the player out away from the lane puts them at an advantage or disadvantage that is not intended.

Many teams have very precise plays they run depending on where the throw-in spot is. This different spot could give an advantage, or be a disadvantage, to a team that has a specific play to be run from the end line under their own basket.

Getting throw-in spots correct is a pet peeve of mine. Even in the backcourt I want to give the ball at as close a spot as possible to where it should be. Nothing irks me about a partner more (well, maybe other than one who has no interest in giving decent effort) than refusing to put the ball in play where it should be...
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Getting throw-in spots correct is a pet peeve of mine.
And that brings up the question of where they should be. Officials Manual Diagram 3-6 has 4 throw in spots along the baseline between the lane and 3-point arc. 2 throw in spots along the sidelines approximately even with the third block and the top of the key.

IMO these are the throw in spots and an official should choose the one closest to the violation or foul. If it is a division line throw in, you go to the division line. Otherwise you use one of the 24 spots identified (or at least close)
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 11:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
And that brings up the question of where they should be. Officials Manual Diagram 3-6 has 4 throw in spots along the baseline between the lane and 3-point arc. 2 throw in spots along the sidelines approximately even with the third block and the top of the key.

IMO these are the throw in spots and an official should choose the one closest to the violation or foul. If it is a division line throw in, you go to the division line. Otherwise you use one of the 24 spots identified (or at least close)
Look in the penalty sections throughout rule 9, for a rule reference. The spot is the "out of bounds spot nearest the violation." The diagram you're referencing is just an illustration showing how to determine it.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Why would you take it out wherever is easiest for you?
Glad you're with Snaqwells Josh. It's not easier for me to take it out there, it's in fact a pain in the arse. However, a state final four official told me some time ago that bringing the players out further decreases the amount of physical post play on the throw in, in his opinion, in addition to the reasons aforementioned. I'm not defending this position, I'm ask what do others think. No need to be condescending, I'm trying to learn from the group.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Glad you're with Snaqwells Josh. It's not easier for me to take it out there, it's in fact a pain in the arse. However, a state final four official told me some time ago that bringing the players out further decreases the amount of physical post play on the throw in, in his opinion, in addition to the reasons aforementioned. I'm not defending this position, I'm ask what do others think. No need to be condescending, I'm trying to learn from the group.
I apologize if I seemed abrasive. It wasn't meant to be that way. The rule book says nearest spot so I was just curious why you wouldn't take it at the nearest spot. I used a bad choice of words.

-Josh
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 08:47am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
a state final four official told me some time ago that bringing the players out further decreases the amount of physical post play on the throw in, in his opinion
No disrespect intended, but his opinion is irrelevant in this case. This is not a judgment question. This is a black and white directive in the rulebook. The ball is put in play at the spot that is closest to where it went out of bounds, with the sole exception that we don't put it in play directly behind the backboard.

Put the ball in play where it's supposed to be put in play.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post

Just because there are 4 arrows (and 2 arrows) doesn't mean those are the only spots.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However, a state final four official told me some time ago that bringing the players out further decreases the amount of physical post play on the throw in, in his opinion, in addition to the reasons aforementioned.
Actually calling the fouls for physical play in the post encourages players not to be so physical in the post ... location of the ball has little or no bearing on the situation. All you can do is react to what the players do and they react to what you call.

Question: if the ball goes out of bounds between the three point arc and the side line do you bring it back in to the middle between the lane and the three point arc?

you give a definative advantage given to the inbounding team if you do.

this is a big point of emphasis for me this year, directing where I want the ball inbounded after I make the call and inbounding the ball in the correct position, I got banged on hard last year about this at the NCAA level and I make sure I do it right now.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not being condescending, but this is an example of the exact thing that the NFHS does not want-- that is officials "enforcing" the rules according to their own opinion. As everyone has mentioned before, the rules are black and white and I don't understand why certain officials have trouble enforcing them that way. And, by the way, you deserve credit for seeking other opinions regarding this matter rather than taking the "final four official's opinion" and stopping there like most others would have.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 11:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If the ball goes out under the basket, or if there's a foul in the paint, the throwin spot should be right next to the lane. Give them the correct spot that they deserve.
I agree, Snaqs.
The *spots* are infinite.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 11:23am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Look in the penalty sections throughout rule 9, for a rule reference. The spot is the "out of bounds spot nearest the violation." The diagram you're referencing is just an illustration showing how to determine it.
That is true for b/c violations as well, correct? I'm seeing the violation occur at the 3 pt line & the ball is being put in play at the division line...

How should we handle it if you make the b/c call, indicate the throw-in spot & become the new lead but your partner makes their own throw-in spot??
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 11:27am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
How should we handle it if you make the b/c call, indicate the throw-in spot & become the new lead but your partner makes their own throw-in spot??
Depends how far off your partner's spot is. That's a "HTBT", IMO.