The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Where do you draw the line?

I was reviewing a game tape last night, and the first thing I noticed is that my very first call of the game may have been bogus. I was at lead and called a shooting foul on the far side of the lane (inside the lane, but much more than halfway across). I began charting these and I counted three calls across the paint (one way, way, way across GRRRR )

I should say this was a two person game, and in two person I have always considered the paint to be a dual coverage area. But after starting to work some three person games, I'm starting to wonder if I should be more conservative in "calling across the paint".

So how do you divide coverage in the paint in a two person game?
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 02:04pm
Ch1town

All of the paint is part of the small L in 2 person, but I like the T to come get the above the rim calls in the paint.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post

Don't beat yourself up. In 2-man, you have to get what you can get. It is very difficult.

In 3-man, if there is a scoring play in the key, to be honest, all three guys should have a look. The question is, who has the best look? If the L is ballside, quite often they will have the best look, but if a post player turns inside, away from the L, quite often the C or T has a better look.

Same with calling across the key. If L does not get ball side, and the post player turns towards the basket, often the L has a better look than the C.

So it all depends on where you are positioned with respect to your partners, and who has the best angle. It's always best to stay in your designated primary areas, but the best crews know who has the best look and takes them.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've always thought the paint was L's territory, along with the area outside the lane from the endline up to the FT line extended, out to the sideline. The T would then cover the rest, kind of an L-shaped area. Isn't this why it was so hard for officials to initially lay off those calls on the other side of the lane when starting 3-person mechanics, because of years of training that they have have all plays coming towards them, especially in the paint?

How did the pre-game go? Did this get discussed at all? Was your partner a newbie, or experienced? Maybe you should consider stepping "into the paint" more to get closer or a better angle on those calls on the other side of the paint.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much over those calls, as now you see why 3-person mechanics help the percentage of correct calls go up.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I've always thought the paint was L's territory, along with the area outside the lane from the endline up to the FT line extended, out to the sideline. The T would then cover the rest, kind of an L-shaped area. Isn't this why it was so hard for officials to initially lay off those calls on the other side of the lane when starting 3-person mechanics, because of years of training that they have have all plays coming towards them, especially in the paint?

How did the pre-game go? Did this get discussed at all? Was your partner a newbie, or experienced? Maybe you should consider stepping "into the paint" more to get closer or a better angle on those calls on the other side of the paint.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much over those calls, as now you see why 3-person mechanics help the percentage of correct calls go up.
I was working with a relative newbie, and my pregame was "The paint is dual coverage. If you see it, come and get it." So most of the calls across the paint were per our pregame.

But now I'm wondering if I could improve my percentage of correct calls if I divided things more like we do in three person.

I'm also wondering if I should come ball-side more on these. Not to get a look at post play, which is when I normally come ball-side in two person, but to get a better angle or at least a closer look on shots from the far side of the paint.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm also wondering if I should come ball-side more on these. Not to get a look at post play, which is when I normally come ball-side in two person, but to get a better angle or at least a closer look on shots from the far side of the paint.
You can borrow the NCAAW mechanic of "pinching the paint" on these drives.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was working with a relative newbie, and my pregame was "The paint is dual coverage. If you see it, come and get it." So most of the calls across the paint were per our pregame.

But now I'm wondering if I could improve my percentage of correct calls if I divided things more like we do in three person.

When I work 2 person (Boys/Girls JV), I had an assignor indicate that I should come across more oftern. I tend to close down, but since coaches now teach the skip pass, I am too conservative in coming across since I still have that far sideline.

Its not an issue in three person since there is still the old T now new C to grab that side and keep it covered.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know if changing the areas of coverage will help, as what you are suggesting is increasing the area the T covers, while decreasing the area the L covers.

As Bob suggested, in NCAA-W, the new terminology is "pinching the paint" as L. For example, on a drive from C's area, it is still C's call all the way to the basket, but the L now steps into the area under the basket to help with that call. For years we've been taught the paint area is "quicksand", but now they want us in there to get closer to plays, and to have better angles. Maybe this is something you might want to consider doing as L on the plays where coming all the way across to ball-side might not be the best idea.

But one thing won't change - in 2-person you have to move more to get those same angles you get used to in 3-person.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On the rare occasion that I have to work a game with the 2-person system, I prefere to have my partner and I consider ourselves to be the L and C on drives to the basket. Unless the ball is up high and the Trail needs to be out there, I just pretend that I am the C and work down near the FT line extended. From there I can take half of the paint.

I believe that having the C take these calls leads to greater accuracy.
Unfortunately, the NCAA seems to disagree.