The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

3-Person Mechanics - NFHS

Mechanics change year-to-year ("move to improve").....but Fed changes only occur every two years....however, state associations can include their adaptations, if they choose. Here's my question:

In 3-Person.....Does the Lead official have three-point try responsibilities from the near sideline corner to the near free-throw line extended?
I think this is a FALSE statement.

However, some claim it's TRUE because mechanically, crews pre-game the sitch as Lead will assist C or T "in transition". The reference, 3.3.4 (B5), in the Fed Officials Manual is vague and to the best that I can interpret it.....I'd say the statement is FALSE. Anyone want to give me their take?
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

I believe on a long pass or something like that, the lead can signal a three, but that is something discussed by the crew in pre game
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

That is a NCAA womens mechanic, but yes on a fast break the Lead can signal that it is a 3 try until the Trail can pick it up and then the Lead goes back to their normal court coverage!
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaref View Post
In 3-Person.....Does the Lead official have three-point try responsibilities from the near sideline corner to the near free-throw line extended?
3 person mechanics test #53. The answer key lists it as true and the reference as 3.3.4.B.3.

That said I will not put True. The question does not say 'in transition'. Also if you are in transition, it wouldn't just be the Lead's responsibility up until the free-throw line. It would probably go up even higher on the three-point arc.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
3 person mechanics test #53. The answer key lists it as true and the reference as 3.3.4.B.3.

That said I will not put True. The question does not say 'in transition'. Also if you are in transition, it wouldn't just be the Lead's responsibility up until the free-throw line. It would probably go up even higher on the three-point arc.

Agreed.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 10:04am
Do not give a damn!!

Mechanics are guides they are not absolutes in most situations. This is not the primary responsibility of the Lead, but could be a secondary coverage for the Lead if need be. This is something mostly common in transition where the Lead is much closer to the ball and has a much better angle. But this would mostly be a rare situation to be used.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 10:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaref View Post
Mechanics change year-to-year ("move to improve").....but Fed changes only occur every two years....however, state associations can include their adaptations, if they choose. Here's my question:

However, some claim it's TRUE because mechanically, crews pre-game the sitch as Lead will assist C or T "in transition". The reference, 3.3.4 (B5), in the Fed Officials Manual is vague and to the best that I can interpret it.....I'd say the statement is FALSE. Anyone want to give me their take?
Lead has no primary responsibility outside the arc.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 12:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post

The key?

I like how I have to fill out a bubble form for the same test we completed last year.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

This is interesting because I did my first varsity game of the season (working a schedule heavy on 2-man sub-varsity with some 3-man varsity mixed in). I've got two separate court-coverage charts, one showing lead having primary coverage of this area, one showing the primary coverage area ending at the 3-point arc.

I asked my partners how they would call it as they've done 3-man more than I have and they suggested that you be aware of (i.e., secondary coverage) the shot deep in the corner (agreeing, I think, with the discussion here so far), but don't get caught out there if the action swings back quickly to the interior. They also suggested that you indicate a three-point shot, make sure it's picked up by C or T, then drop it without indicating a good basket.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 09:20am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
They also suggested that you indicate a three-point shot, make sure it's picked up by C or T, then drop it without indicating a good basket.
My personal preference, but if I indicate a 3-point attempt -- even from the Lead -- I'm putting up the touchdown signal.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 10:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
My personal preference, but if I indicate a 3-point attempt -- even from the Lead -- I'm putting up the touchdown signal.
I'm not...I give the 3 signal to help my partners but I'm not signalling the successful attempt. I getting my eyes down and in the paint for rebounding action.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 11:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm not...I give the 3 signal to help my partners but I'm not signalling the successful attempt. I getting my eyes down and in the paint for rebounding action.
I try to follow the recommended mechanic, also.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 11:37am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What rebounding? It's a successful attempt. And even if there is rebounding action, you can't do both? Wouldn't you do both if you were the T or C? What am I missing? What's the connection? Why can't I stop asking questions?
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 11:39am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I try to follow the recommended mechanic, also.
I think that it is the recommended mechanic to give the TD signal, once you have given the attempt signal, regardless of your position on the floor.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 11:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I think that it is the recommended mechanic to give the TD signal, once you have given the attempt signal, regardless of your position on the floor.
I think that's just 2-whistle, where the Lead actually scores the three.