The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2 or 3 man crews (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50234-2-3-man-crews.html)

stripes2255 Mon Dec 08, 2008 09:05pm

Sure

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 556512)
Don't be so sure about that. I know of a few unofficial exceptions.

But you are in the big city. I am further south and much more rural.

derwil Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:15pm

In Alabama its 3 man varsity, 2 man sub varsity. It might be two man for varsity out where you can hear the banjo music, but we try not to go out that far.

Freddy Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:22pm

In Our Little Corner of the World

In this part of Michigan, all varsity seems to be 3-man. For most big schools, JV is 3 man. For the smaller schools, a single JV game would likely be 2 man. If it's a frosh/JV doubleheader, it will be the same 3-man crew doing both.
Got a non-conference 2-man frosh/JV doubleheader, which is a rarity, next week. That's a lot of running, but the pay is split between two officials instead of three, so that sorta makes it worth the hoof-pounding.

Adam Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 556539)
In this part of Michigan, all varsity seems to be 3-man. For most big schools, JV is 3 man. For the smaller schools, a single JV game would likely be 2 man. If it's a frosh/JV doubleheader, it will be the same 3-man crew doing both.
Got a non-conference frosh/JV doubleheader, which is a rarity, next week. That's a lot of running, but the pay is split between two officials instead of three, so that sorta makes it worth the hoof-pounding.

When I was in Des Moines, virtually all Frosh games were double headers (2 man). I was a little surprised to find they were all singles when I moved to Colorado.

JRutledge Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:27am

Illinois uses 3 Person for all post season games Boy's and Girl's basketball.

I have heard rumors of some places using 2 Person still, but it is not very common. Every league or tournament I have worked is 3 Person for all varsity games.

There are even places that go 3 Person for lower level games. This is not common, but it has taken place.

Peace

Drizzle Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:30am

General rule in Texas is 3-person for 3A, 4A, and 5A games (three largest classes which make up most cities), 2-person for smaller schools and almost all sub-varsity.

ODJ Tue Dec 09, 2008 01:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripes2255 (Post 556522)
But you are in the big city. I am further south and much more rural.

Yoncalla?

ref2coach Tue Dec 09, 2008 01:40am

TN has geographical differences. "Greater" Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville areas all use 3 person for varsity, 2 person for sub-varsity. The "in between" areas still have many schools that use 2 person for varsity.

tjones1 Tue Dec 09, 2008 02:17am

For the most part, most schools hire three officials for varsity games. There are a few exceptions that only hire 2 officials.

IREFU2 Tue Dec 09, 2008 09:58am

In my neck of the woods, we do 3 person all season with the exception of AAA Girls Varsity, Private Schools and JV. All post season is 3 person.

Mregor Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizzle (Post 556574)
General rule in Texas is 3-person for 3A, 4A, and 5A games (three largest classes which make up most cities), 2-person for smaller schools and almost all sub-varsity.

Same in NM which is where I just left. In AZ, all 2 except for post season (not sure of which post season as this is my first here).

Roger

ajs8207 Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:13pm

Out of curiosity, in places where varsity is 3 and sub-varsity is 2, how much are the game fees for each?

refnrev Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 556580)
For the most part, most schools hire three officials for varsity games. There are a few exceptions that only hire 2 officials.

A few places still hire 2 for girls V or 3 for a JV/V combo. I've heard of places where boys still have two for V but haven't seen it for years!

DonInKansas Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:58pm

Kansas uses 3 whistle for Varsity, 2 for sub-varsity.

refnrev Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajs8207 (Post 556865)
Out of curiosity, in places where varsity is 3 and sub-varsity is 2, how much are the game fees for each?