The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Question Free throw lane coverage

With the move up one space, who is seeing a problem with the NFHS lane line coverage? Why can't we stay on our own side now? I've brought it up in pregame and some are receptive and some are not, usually depending on whether they work college or not.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 12:25pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
With the move up one space. . .
I guess I'm one of the ones who don't see the problem. What is the relation between moving up one spot and looking across the lane?

Please understand that I'm asking an honest question. I re-read that question, and it might sound sarcastic, but it's not.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

For one I feel that the C has to get to high to see the opposite lane and provide and good rebounding coverage.

And as lead I don't like the angle I get looking across opposite, I feel I'm too close under to the basket and maintain a good angle on the first near guy.

I wish the Lead could just take his three and the Center take his three.

Last edited by eyezen; Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 01:03pm.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with eyezen that it's more difficult as L to see both the nearer rebounder and the two opposite.

I've always thought that since we are responsible for the nearer side on rebounds that we should just watch that side to begin with, rather than having to shift our focus when the ball hits the rim.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

I would very much prefer to watch the players on our own side. Once the ball hits rim, and I can stop worrying about lane violations, the next item on my check list is to ensure the guy in the second spot isn't shoving the guy in the first spot...well, used to be I checked to ensure he wasn't shoving him under the backboard, but I guess now it's just that he's not shoving him forward. And it's more difficult to see that whole play if my focus has been across the lane.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 08:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Mechanics ...

With the old rule, and our old two-person IAABO mechanics, as the lead, I had no problems watching the other side of the lane, and the closest player to me on my side. Getting deep was the key to seeing what I was supposed to see. Now with the new rule, and the new IAABO mechanics, I've been having some problems in my scrimmages getting a good look the player closest to me, on my side. The answer is not getting deep, in fact, standing on the endline, and backing away from the lane a few steps toward the sideline. I still wish we would go back to the old NFHS mechanics. The lead had everyone on the opposite side of the lane, and the trail had everyone on the opposite side of the lane, and the shooter. Easy, simple, no problems.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)