View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azatcher View Post
Saw this in a Varsity Game the other night..... did the officials make the right call? 2 man crew

A1 Drives to the hole and is fouled on the shot attempt by B1. While the ball is clearly on the rim A2 interferes with the shot by dunking the ball.

Lead calls the foul on B1. Trail gets the goaltending/basket interference and waves off the basket.

the two officials get togethter and determine that A1 gets two free throws.

My initial reaction was that the crew got the call correct as there was a foul and there was goaltending. My first thought was that A1 was getting two free throws... yet the more I think about it I dont' know if that was correct.

I have had thoughts that A1 should only get one freethrow. But I don't know why I think this. Also is there a situation where A1 gets no freethrows due to the violation on his teamate? another question I have is When does the ball come dead in this situation?
2FT since the try was unsuccessful.
The ball becomes dead at the time of the BASKET INTERFERENCE. (This was not goaltending.)
A team can only lose the FT attempts by violating once the attempt has started. There is no case in which an offense PRIOR to the beginning of a FT attempt would negate the upcoming free throws, other than something which caused the game to be prematurely terminated.

wrwom provided the citation for the play ruling.