The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Designated Tosser

I couldn't find in the rule book where the referee is authorized to have the umpire toss the ball. In the rule book it specifically states that it is the referee's responsibility. I can only find in the Case Book that the referee may designate this responsibility to the umpire. Why is this not in the rule book?
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

No idea why it is not specifically stated.

My question, does this really matter? There are three of us out there, someone throw the ball in the air and let the kids play.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 12:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Case Book is an attachment to the rules book.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie View Post
No idea why it is not specifically stated.

My question, does this really matter? There are three of us out there, someone throw the ball in the air and let the kids play.
I ask because I took the test the other night and there was a question on there that had to do with something (don't have the test in front of me so I can't remember what it was) being the sole responsibility of the referee vs. the officials in general.

The question troubled me because I couldn't find it outlined in the rule book, but I also couldn't find this exception (the toss) outlined either. I feared that if they omitted one exception, they might have omitted the other.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Also, I think part of the function of having the referee toss as well as administer the ball OOB at the beginning of quarters 2, 3 and 4 may have something to do with the symbolism of showing who in the crew is in charge in case anyone has questions or concerns. Just my speculation, though.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 12:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Also, I think part of the function of having the referee toss as well as administer the ball OOB at the beginning of quarters 2, 3 and 4 may have something to do with the symbolism of showing who in the crew is in charge in case anyone has questions or concerns. Just my speculation, though.
Who's in charge? I have two PARTNERS. Once that ball is tossed, we're ALL in charge.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Who's in charge? I have two PARTNERS. Once that ball is tossed, we're ALL in charge.
In general, I agree with you, but (in the very rare occasion) that there is a disagreement on certain aspects, the referee has the final say.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Horrendous test question.... why do they not ask questions that have substance. I will never understand this...

All of that being said, I now understand the basis of your question. Sometimes I think we (officials in general) get caught up in the minutia (sp?) and fail to focus on the plays/rules that have direct impact on the game.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 12:52pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
In general, I agree with you, but (in the very rare occasion) that there is a disagreement on certain aspects, the referee has the final say.
And the captains and coaches will know who the referee is when he/she introduces him/herself to them as such during the pregame powwow.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 12:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
And the captains and coaches will know who the referee is when he/she introduces him/herself to them as such during the pregame powwow.
I introduce all of us as referees; no distinctions to the players or coaches.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie View Post
All of that being said, I now understand the basis of your question. Sometimes I think we (officials in general) get caught up in the minutia (sp?) and fail to focus on the plays/rules that have direct impact on the game.
I agree. We're forced to focus on minutiae when our ability to advance to Varsity is partially based on a test score.

Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I introduce all of us as referees; no distinctions to the players or coaches.
Coaches aren't stupid, though. They can tell who is in charge by who is talking to them, who is tossing the ball, who is taking the ball OOB at the beginning of quarters.

That's why I get ridden by coaches more when I'm the ref than when I'm the ump, even when I said nothing to the coach about our assigned duties.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 01:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Coaches aren't stupid, though. They can tell who is in charge by who is talking to them, who is tossing the ball, who is taking the ball OOB at the beginning of quarters.

That's why I get ridden by coaches more when I'm the ref than when I'm the ump, even when I said nothing to the coach about our assigned duties.
All the more reason to mix it up by having the R give the pregame and the U1 toss the ball.

They'll more likely pick it up from who's giving the talk; and around here we give a card with our names on it to the coaches. We're listed as Referee, Umpire, and Umpire; from top to bottom.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
All the more reason to mix it up by having the R give the pregame and the U1 toss the ball.

They'll more likely pick it up from who's giving the talk; and around here we give a card with our names on it to the coaches. We're listed as Referee, Umpire, and Umpire; from top to bottom.
Good point.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 01:12pm
Ch1town

Quote:
That's why I get ridden by coaches ...
Oh really? I know it's early in the season, but work on that before you develop a reputation that you dont want to have. No coach rides me or any of my partners. Take care of business!