The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
So if the opposing coach alerted you to a player wearing jewelry would you "[halt] the game instantly to have the problem remedied?"
Nope. Blood warrants the stoppage. A player wearing a tongue stud does not take priority in my view.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgncjn View Post
Nope. Blood warrants the stoppage. A player wearing a tongue stud does not take priority in my view.
Ah, therein lies the problem.

Why are both rules in place?
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ah, therein lies the problem.

Why are both rules in place?
So, you're going to stop play and deal with the tongue stud as soon as you are alerted?
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Easy,
I will penalize once discovered. During the coaches meeting when I ask them(coaches) if their team is properly equipment and they verify and say yes. This include tongue stud. Shoot two ball division line opposite table. I know some will not agree but it is what it is.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
Easy,
I will penalize once discovered. During the coaches meeting when I ask them(coaches) if their team is properly equipment and they verify and say yes. This include tongue stud. Shoot two ball division line opposite table. I know some will not agree but it is what it is.
Easy yourself.
Illegal equipment does not warrant a technical foul.

There is absolutely no rules support for issuing one.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, you're going to stop play and deal with the tongue stud as soon as you are alerted?
I'm asking YOU why you aren't handling both situations in the same manner. Both are covered by rules regarding something on a player which prohibits that individual from participating due to safety issues.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm asking YOU why you aren't handling both situations in the same manner. Both are covered by rules regarding something on a player which prohibits that individual from participating due to safety issues.
I understand what you are saying. I am asking if YOU would stop play when you are alerted that player "might" be wearing hidden jewelry.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Easy yourself.
Illegal equipment does not warrant a technical foul.

There is absolutely no rules support for issuing one.

Your right, just checking the pulse of the forum. Since Rut did a state Playoff game in Football.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 11:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

A while ago, I had a 7th grade boy come up to me before a game and ask if he had to remove his nipple ring. I stayed calm enough to tell him yes. He then told his coach he had to go to the locker room for a few minutes. My partner said to me, "How would you like to be his dad?" I replied, "No."
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. I am asking if YOU would stop play when you are alerted that player "might" be wearing hidden jewelry.
No I wouldn't stop the game but at the next dead ball I would address the matter. For blood, immediate stoppage.

The bigger question to me is if "hidden jewelry" is truly the safety issue that the spirit of the rule wants to protect. Easy to understand that a ring or bracelet can get caught on an opponent or on equipment but "hidden jewelry"?
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No I wouldn't. Of course, I wouldn't immediately halt play for blood either.
I'm handling both issues in a similar manner.

Why aren't you?
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No I wouldn't. Of course, I wouldn't immediately halt play for blood either.
I'm handling both issues in a similar manner.

Why aren't you?
If the offensive team has the bleeding player, and they are not attempting to score or run a play, and for all practical purposes are more concerned about the blood, why are you unable to justify stopping play at that moment? I am always going to look to verify the blood before officially stopping play.

Tonight's game, for example, involved the opposing coach alerting me about the potential problem. I observed the player bleeding, and stopped play while his team was dribbling in the front court.

For wearing hidden jewelry, I believe that addressing the situation during the next dead ball is sufficient. As I previously stated about reasonable suspicion, I would consider notification from a player/coach reasonable suspicion to approach the topic with the team's head coach / possible offending player.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

rgncjn,
I see you only have 138 posts, so you are relatively new. Always remember, Nevada likes a good argument. This post could go on for pages.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
rgncjn,
I see you only have 138 posts, so you are relatively new. Always remember, Nevada likes a good argument. This post could go on for pages.
Hey, be quiet! I've got one on the hook here and am reeling him in.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

After seeing your clarifications in this post, I believe that our positions are not so different afterall.

Quote:
If the offensive team has the bleeding player, and they are not attempting to score or run a play, and for all practical purposes are more concerned about the blood, why are you unable to justify stopping play at that moment?
Because an official shouldn't stop play based upon what a coach or player says, but rather based upon something that the official actually observes.
Now if the official acutally observes the improper situation then there is justification for stopping play under such circumstances.

Quote:
I am always going to look to verify the blood before officially stopping play.
Good. I agree. And I would do the same with jewelry. If I can't see it, we aren't stopping until the next normal stoppage.

Quote:
Tonight's game, for example, involved the opposing coach alerting me about the potential problem. I observed the player bleeding, and stopped play while his team was dribbling in the front court.
I have no problem with that. I just want you to be consistent. The rules make no distinction between blood and jewelry. They are both illegal items for a player to have on his/her person during a game. As a fellow official I was merely probing to ensure that you understood that.

Quote:
For wearing hidden jewelry, I believe that addressing the situation during the next dead ball is sufficient. As I previously stated about reasonable suspicion, I would consider notification from a player/coach reasonable suspicion to approach the topic with the team's head coach / possible offending player.
Again, I believe that is proper, and I hope that you would do the same for a player who is bleeding, but you couldn't see it during the course of play.