Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 09:54pm
Broadcaster

Hidden ball play - NCAA

In SEC play, no less.

link

Published: March 22, 2008

The Auburn baseball team entered this weekend’s series against Kentucky with its back against the wall.

Fresh off three consecutive losses at Florida to open the Southeastern Conference schedule, the Tigers needed some positive momentum. Three games against Kentucky — which entered this weekend with an unbeaten record and the nation’s longest win streak — loomed.

There didn’t appear to be much reason for optimism.

Two games later, the Tigers are riding high.

Saturday’s 7-5 win against 16th-ranked Kentucky gave AU a 2-0 series lead. The Tigers head into today’s series finale with a chance at their first SEC sweep since 2003.

Sophomore Joseph Sanders was a high-school freshman then. And while he’s happy to pick up a series win, he is ready to snap that sweepless streak now.

“It’s huge to get a series win,” Sanders said. “We need to come out here and definitely try to get the sweep tomorrow.

“We haven’t been able to finish a sweep since we’ve been here. It’d be nice to get a sweep, get three wins in the SEC.”

Auburn (14-8, 2-3 SEC) won Friday’s game with clutch pitching and just enough hitting, shutting out Kentucky’s SEC-best offense in a 2-0 win.

Saturday’s game followed a different plan.

Auburn led, 1-0, in the top of the fourth inning when Kentucky (19-2, 3-2) finally found its offense. Brian Spear and Sawyer Carroll singled to start the inning.

With the heart of the Kentucky order coming up and nobody out, Auburn starter Cory Luckie (3-2) needed a break.

Junior shortstop Matt Hall had just the thing.

Hall perfectly executed a hidden-ball trick against Spear, catching the senior leading off second base. The trickery snapped Kentucky’s momentum and blunted the rally; the Wildcats didn’t manage a run in the inning.

“It was perfect timing,” Sanders said. “It killed their rally for sure.”

Luckie admitted he was a little nervous.

“Whenever he comes to me with a man on second base and the ball’s in his glove, I’m thinking, ‘Oh God, it’s coming,’” Luckie said with a laugh. “He didn’t drop the ball in my glove, so I was like, ‘All right. Here we go.’”

The play bought AU some breathing room, but Kentucky came back with four runs in the top of the fifth. Trailing, 4-1, the Tigers needed more than defensive trickery.

Sanders came through.

With the bases loaded and two out, Sanders hammered an 0-1 fastball from Kentucky reliever Andrew Albers (4-1) into left field, clearing the bases and tying the game.

“It was a big moment in the game,” Sanders said. “I got up to the plate and I was ready to do what I needed to do to get some runs across.”

Freshman Hunter Morris hit a two-run single in the sixth to give AU a 6-4 lead, and Sanders added an RBI single to push the lead to 7-4.

Kentucky threatened again in the seventh. Chris Wade and Troy Frazier opened the inning with singles. But Luckie forced three consecutive groundouts — the second scored Wade from third — to end the inning.

Luckie finished with five strikeouts in eight innings.

“Nothing really bothers the kid,” Slater said. “He has a lot of confidence.”

Former Central star Bryan Woodall pitched a scoreless ninth for his eighth save, his second of the series.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Someone who posts here or at umpire.org....

regularly has the quote "Keep your eye on the ball everlastingly while in play." that goes well for umpires, players and coaches. I try to remember that every game I am working.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

It's actually in the rules - at the end of 9.05 you will find General Instructions to Umpires. My favorite is the last line of that section: "Finally, be courteous, impartial and firm, and so compel respect from all."
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock
It's actually in the rules - at the end of 9.05 you will find General Instructions to Umpires. My favorite is the last line of that section: "Finally, be courteous, impartial and firm, and so compel respect from all."
My favorite 9.99(C)

"Phuck'em if they can't take a joke."

Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Hahahahahaha.