The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Another Sonik update.

Well it is now time to start basketball season and I was thinking by now that Fox 40 would be working the problems out of the Sonik. I gave you a review of their updated Sonik back in the summer but it still needs more work. I like the idea of no down side and a higher tone but it still does not sound the same on both sides and is hard to blow. I wish they would fix the problem but until they do I wont use it in my games. A friend on mine who runs a store for officials said he was sending all of his Soniks back to Fox 40 because they just dont work right. I will keep you updated if they get the problem fixed. I have been doing test for them and have gave them this feedback. Have a good season! Kevin
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Is there any reason to look for a replacement for the Fox40? Is there some shortcoming that it has that motivates a replacement? Or is it just a change for the sake of change?
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 12:31am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Or is it just a change for the sake of change?
This is the only thing I can think of. Same goes for the Dolphin.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm sticking to the Fox40.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
I used to be a big time Fox-40 fan. I'm making the switch to the Dolfin now. I just like the sound of it better, plus its generally cheaper than the Fox-40 is.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 02:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

You know, for someone who claims not to be getting paid for this, I find it highly suspect that all 6 posts over 7 months are about the Sonik. I'll keep my fox40 until the refs in my association change. It ain't broke.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

The only rationale I see for buying a Dolfin is for volleyball, basketball, etc. in a gym with 2 (or more) courts. Helps distinguish the calls. For my HS games I use only Fox40.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
I used to be a big time Fox-40 fan. I'm making the switch to the Dolfin now. I just like the sound of it better, plus its generally cheaper than the Fox-40 is.
So you might wave $2 every couple of years. That's compelling!
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow No pay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You know, for someone who claims not to be getting paid for this, I find it highly suspect that all 6 posts over 7 months are about the Sonik. I'll keep my fox40 until the refs in my association change. It ain't broke.
First, I DONT GET PAID! I told you in my last post that I was just helping Fox 40 test the whistle. Just so you know I was one of the 1st to use a Fox 40 whistle after they came out. I even have a letter from Joe Forte. In case you dont know that is where the 40 after Fox came from. I have been testing whistles for years to see which one was the best. I started out using Acme, then Seron, then Fox 40 and now the Dolfin. I really like the idea of having no downside and a higher pitch and was really wanting the Sonik to work. If I were getting paid I would not have wrote this update. I am awaiting another reply from Heather at Fox 40 to see if there are any updates. I am not trying to sell anything but just trying to be of a help so someone who reads this forum does not go buy a Sonik until they get it right if they ever do. I dont have a computer at home so I dont want to post much on this site when I cant reply quick. I will keep those of you who care updated and for those of you who dont then just dont read my post.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 03:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Are you buying your own whistles?
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Talking I bought the 1st two.

Yes, I bought the 1st two and when I called Fox 40 to tell them the problems I was having with it they said they would relay that to their Headquarters in Canada. Then a few months later they sent me an email saying they now have an updated version and would like me to give it a try. They were going to refund my money for the 1st Soniks that I bought but I told them I would just keep them. They sent me 2 new ones that were updated but they still dont work right and we are now in stage 3. I am just trying to keep everyone informed so they will not go out and buy one until they get it right. The people at Fox 40 have impressed me in the fact that they updated me with an email several months after sending me the ones I bought. That shows they care about their customers. I told them I would test the new updated one when they got it so that is how it all started. THANKS! Kevin
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 03:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Here's why I'm skeptical.

All of your posts have been about this whistle. Not that we don't talk about that stuff, but a single-issue poster raises some questions. You've not discussed anything else, at all.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Chech me out if you want!

You can contact Heather at Fox 40 and check me out if you want. Just ask her if a guy named Kevin in Huntington WV is getting paid for helping test the Sonik. I just have not posted on here before and was trying to help. I know the rules VERY well and have corrected NFHS on some of their answers on their test a few times. As I said I dont have a computer at home so I dont like to start a topic when I sometimes can not reply. I spend most of my computer time on a couple of knife sites. As I said before if I were getting a cut I would be telling you that they are GREAT right now but I am not getting one cent. I am just trying to help the officials on this forum out so they dont buy something that they will regret until it works right. Kevin
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 04:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Is Only A Test ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Are you buying your own whistles?
Are you implying free whistles? Are you implying a conflict of interest? Are you implying a kickback? Who cares? I don't care if kda89508 gets a free gross of new whistles each month. At least the company is testing their whistles with real officials. If kda89508 wants our feedback, I've got no problem with that, if it means a better whistle on the market. Sometimes I don't think that the NFHS tests out their new rules with real officials.

As for me. I like my Mini Fox 40's just the way they are. They're certainly a big improvement over my Acme's that I used to use, back in the day. I thought the Acme's were great until the Fox 40 came onto the market.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 04:21pm.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Are you implying free whistles? Are you implying a conflict of interest? Are you implying a kickback? Who cares? I don't care if kda89508 gets a gross of new whistles each month. At least the company is testing their whistles with real officials. If kda89508 wants our feedback, I've got no problem with that, if it means a better whistle on the market. Sometimes I don't think that the NFHS tests out their new rules with real officials.

As for me. I like my Mini Fox 40's just the way they are. They're certainly a big improvement over my Acme's that I used to use, back in the day. I thought the Acme's were great until the Fox 40 came onto the market.
THANKS BillyMac! I dont know if you remember but the 1st Mini Fox did not sound right and they had to update it too. Now there is no difference between the two. Kevin
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 04:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Can't Possibly Use A Whole Gross By Yourself Each Month ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kda89508 View Post
THANKS BillyMac! I dont know if you remember but the 1st Mini Fox did not sound right and they had to update it too. Now there is no difference between the two. Kevin
When do I get my free whistles?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)