The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Player "Yelling"

Had this situation last night in a Juco game. Offensive player apparently didn't like being guarded closely by defensive player so she stepped away and yelled "God, get away from me!" very loud. She did not scream at the defensive player or any of the officials, it was just out into the air as she "walked away" from the defensive player. I was watching the players the whole time and there was nothing to call, so I called nothing. Of course 10 seconds later after a turnover, the player who did the yelling, lined up the player she was frustrated with and laid a heavy screen on her (even though she was now on defense), I had that and called her for an intentional foul (and very easily could have called flagrant), coach took her out and we didn't see her the rest of the night. Just curious if anyone would have called anything for the "yelling" act.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SportOff View Post
Had this situation last night in a Juco game. Offensive player apparently didn't like being guarded closely by defensive player so she stepped away and yelled "God, get away from me!" very loud. She did not scream at the defensive player or any of the officials, it was just out into the air as she "walked away" from the defensive player. I was watching the players the whole time and there was nothing to call, so I called nothing. Of course 10 seconds later after a turnover, the player who did the yelling, lined up the player she was frustrated with and laid a heavy screen on her (even though she was now on defense), I had that and called her for an intentional foul (and very easily could have called flagrant), coach took her out and we didn't see her the rest of the night. Just curious if anyone would have called anything for the "yelling" act.
I doubt I'd call that. I might say something to the player if the opportunity was there, though...

Should add, in a college game almost no chance I'd call that.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

she turned and walked away before saying anything so it wasn't "in your face" and while others might disagree, I'm not going to call anything because a person used the word "God". Now if it was "Gdamit" or something I would more than likely hit the whistle. If I was convinced the screen was an intentional action to "get" the opposing girl - I have no problem with an intentional foul - but I would have to be thouroughly convinced it was in some way illegal first.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

The fact that she was now on defense was enough to convince me that she was out to get the opponent. Not too many defensive screens set and not too many set 50 feet from the basket you are defending.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 02:46pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SportOff View Post
The fact that she was now on defense was enough to convince me that she was out to get the opponent. Not too many defensive screens set and not too many set 50 feet from the basket you are defending.
That would have been enough for me too. I would have gone flagrant and tossed her for it. Glad the coach decided to take her out and keep her out. I'll gamble the girl may end up disappearing from the roster eventually.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 03:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

If, as a result of the contact, she caused the other player to break a nail, I got flagrant.

OK, Juulie, go ahead.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 09:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
she turned and walked away before saying anything so it wasn't "in your face" and while others might disagree, I'm not going to call anything because a person used the word "God". Now if it was "Gdamit" or something I would more than likely hit the whistle.
I don't think you'll find many college refs who would call either of these statements a T. Makes it easier to know who the knuckleheads are, though.