The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

"Beckoning Coach" for an injured player

Anyone here ever T'd up a coach for coming onto the court for an injury, unbeckoned? How do you beckon, generally? I coach HS Girls - had an injured player and I waited to be beckoned, but was not (as far as I could tell). When officials removed themselves from the immediate are of the injured player, I interpreted their departure as an invitation to attend to my player, so I did. After the game, in a reasonable conversation, I asked them if/how they beckoned, and the official who was closer to the injury said he had shouted "she's choking!" and he figured that was enough. (I didn't hear him, though I was watching him for a signal to come onto the court) I can't think of a reasonable instance where I would really get T'd for going onto the court for a real injury, provided I hadn't already misbehaved badly - but this got me to thinking - how do you guys usually communicate to the coach that he is invited to attend to the player?
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 12:59pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagomer View Post
how do you guys usually communicate to the coach?
What's that? j/k

Usually a couple tweets accompanied by waving them onto the court. Sort of like how we beckon subs in.

For the record, under certain situations I doubt that I'd T if they were to run onto the court unbeckoned... safety first.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 01:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have never called a T for that and I cannot imagine I would. The only way I could see this if the coach came onto the court and the player was clearly not hurt or clearly not in danger. But if they come onto the court without a "real" beckoning, then they are beckoned as a common sense application. Usually most coaches know if they come out on the court the player is going to be subbed for.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Never done it for that, but I did have a beckoned coach come to me instead of going to her player to tell me there had to be a foul because her player was hurt. That one got dealt with.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

How would you suggest dealing with an official that stands over a player and tells him to "stop faking" and "get your @$$ up" and tries to administer the throw-in while the player is still on the ground?
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 01:56pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

If I see a coach come onto the court on their own, I beckon them automatically and 100% of the time. This will help in the administration of the injury - when I saw the player injured, I beckoned the coach.

If a coach came onto the court to an uninjured player, and affected the opponents, of course I have a T.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 01:58pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Koach View Post
How would you suggest dealing with an official that stands over a player and tells him to "stop faking" and "get your @$$ up" and tries to administer the throw-in while the player is still on the ground?
Possible suspension from doing games.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Contact your state's licensing body. Ridiculous!

If there is an injury the coach is always beckoned in my opinion.

-Josh
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 08:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Coach gets the benefit of the doubt on this, but the player will come out or a timeout will be burned.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 08:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Tar and feathers should work well.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 09:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

A few years ago, I had a game in which a kid fell down hard so I stopped play. The coach ran right out before I could beckon him. The kid was fine and I told the coach he either had to come out or the team had to take a timeout. The coach said that since he wasn't "called out", it didn't count and the kid could stay in without the timeout. I replied that if that was the way he wanted it, I would then rule that he came onto the floor without being beckoned and it would be a technical - his choice.

He took the timeout.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 10:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

To call or summon by a silent gesture ...

Not by rule, but is has been strongly suggested to my local board members, by all three of our local interpreters, over twenty-seven years, that if a player appears hurt, and the coach comes out onto the floor, then you have beckoned him. Also, if a fight breaks out, and if the coaches come out to help break up the fight, then, again, they have been beckoned.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)