The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

B/G doubleheader eject coach?

Where I work, because of travel schools will have a double header. Girls play first, boys play second. Sometimes they switch for what I am assuming are title IX reasons

I was just thinking about a situation I had a while back where the head coach of the boys team, while waiting for the girls game got a little animated with my partner and I.

To make this short, what happens if you decide you have had enough? He/She isn't part of the team bench so you can't give a T. Do you have game admin remove him? Does that mean he is done for that game? do you allow him back to coach his game? It never got to that point, but i was just wondering what one should do in that situation
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 12:59pm
Ch1town

I had a similar situation a couple seasons ago. Working a JV game prior to the varsity, the visiting varsity coach is front row opposite the benches. He's yappin at my partner & I as we transition. I didn't know what to do, so after the game I asked the varsity crew about it. They're response was to ask the JV HC to handle the problem if the varsity coach still would like to be around at 7pm.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

You need to check with your local/state association.
I would advise you to have game administration deal with him as you are correct that he is not part of the team currently playing.

I had a similar situation come up out here a few years ago.
During the girls game the boys team was sitting in the first couple rows of the stands on the opposite side from the team benches and the table.
During the first half and following a call one of the boys threw his baseball cap onto the court. I had game administration remove him from the gym.
The boys coach came over before the start of the 2nd half and asked if that meant that his point guard couldn't play in the next game. I told him that the kid could play, but that he'd better be very well behaved.

I checked with my state association later, and they agreed that this was the proper course of action. In order to support my decision, I argued that the NFHS rules are only rewritten for single games. The rules are not designed to govern multiple contests. Those kind of regulations must be put in place by the local league/state.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

what if the coach was bench personnel during the first game, got rung up twice and ejected. can he/she come back and coach the 2nd game?
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 02:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfanllw View Post
what if the coach was bench personnel during the first game, got rung up twice and ejected. can he/she come back and coach the 2nd game?
You only ref one game at a time. And the eligibility of a coach to work any subsequent games is not an official's concern.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You only ref one game at a time. And the eligibility of a coach to work any subsequent games is not an official's concern.
On the contrary, in a baseball double header the coach would be removed for the second game as well. However, off the top of my head, I don't know if that's a state or NFHS rule.

-Josh
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
On the contrary, in a baseball double header the coach would be removed for the second game as well. However, off the top of my head, I don't know if that's a state or NFHS rule.

-Josh

It's a state rule.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's a state rule.
Thanks Bob
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 07:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sit A Game, Just Like Sitting A Tick ...

A few years ago we had a situation where the varsity girls coach, probably one of the most obnoxious coaches in our local area, was sitting on the bench during the junior varsity game that preceded his varsity game. He made several unsporting comments to the junior varsity official, who charged him with a flagrant technical foul, ejecting him from the game. We have a state association rule here in "The Land Of Steady Habits" that if a coach, or player, is ejected from a game, then he, or she, must sit out a game of that same level, until he, or she, is allowed to coach, or play again. He had to sit out the varsity game that night, and sit out the next junior varsity game, until he was allowed to coach his varsity team. This junior varsity official received a standing ovation at our next meeting.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)