The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   B/G doubleheader eject coach? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49953-b-g-doubleheader-eject-coach.html)

Rock Chalk Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:53pm

B/G doubleheader eject coach?

Where I work, because of travel schools will have a double header. Girls play first, boys play second. Sometimes they switch for what I am assuming are title IX reasons :D

I was just thinking about a situation I had a while back where the head coach of the boys team, while waiting for the girls game got a little animated with my partner and I.

To make this short, what happens if you decide you have had enough? He/She isn't part of the team bench so you can't give a T. Do you have game admin remove him? Does that mean he is done for that game? do you allow him back to coach his game? It never got to that point, but i was just wondering what one should do in that situation

Ch1town Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:59pm

I had a similar situation a couple seasons ago. Working a JV game prior to the varsity, the visiting varsity coach is front row opposite the benches. He's yappin at my partner & I as we transition. I didn't know what to do, so after the game I asked the varsity crew about it. They're response was to ask the JV HC to handle the problem if the varsity coach still would like to be around at 7pm.

Nevadaref Wed Nov 19, 2008 01:03pm

You need to check with your local/state association.
I would advise you to have game administration deal with him as you are correct that he is not part of the team currently playing.

I had a similar situation come up out here a few years ago.
During the girls game the boys team was sitting in the first couple rows of the stands on the opposite side from the team benches and the table.
During the first half and following a call one of the boys threw his baseball cap onto the court. I had game administration remove him from the gym.
The boys coach came over before the start of the 2nd half and asked if that meant that his point guard couldn't play in the next game. I told him that the kid could play, but that he'd better be very well behaved. :D

I checked with my state association later, and they agreed that this was the proper course of action. In order to support my decision, I argued that the NFHS rules are only rewritten for single games. The rules are not designed to govern multiple contests. Those kind of regulations must be put in place by the local league/state.

cubsfanllw Wed Nov 19, 2008 02:30pm

what if the coach was bench personnel during the first game, got rung up twice and ejected. can he/she come back and coach the 2nd game?

Raymond Wed Nov 19, 2008 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubsfanllw (Post 551747)
what if the coach was bench personnel during the first game, got rung up twice and ejected. can he/she come back and coach the 2nd game?

You only ref one game at a time. And the eligibility of a coach to work any subsequent games is not an official's concern.

jdmara Wed Nov 19, 2008 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 551748)
You only ref one game at a time. And the eligibility of a coach to work any subsequent games is not an official's concern.

On the contrary, in a baseball double header the coach would be removed for the second game as well. However, off the top of my head, I don't know if that's a state or NFHS rule.

-Josh

bob jenkins Wed Nov 19, 2008 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 551758)
On the contrary, in a baseball double header the coach would be removed for the second game as well. However, off the top of my head, I don't know if that's a state or NFHS rule.

-Josh

It's a state rule.

jdmara Wed Nov 19, 2008 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 551765)
It's a state rule.

Thanks Bob

BillyMac Wed Nov 19, 2008 07:13pm

Sit A Game, Just Like Sitting A Tick ...

A few years ago we had a situation where the varsity girls coach, probably one of the most obnoxious coaches in our local area, was sitting on the bench during the junior varsity game that preceded his varsity game. He made several unsporting comments to the junior varsity official, who charged him with a flagrant technical foul, ejecting him from the game. We have a state association rule here in "The Land Of Steady Habits" that if a coach, or player, is ejected from a game, then he, or she, must sit out a game of that same level, until he, or she, is allowed to coach, or play again. He had to sit out the varsity game that night, and sit out the next junior varsity game, until he was allowed to coach his varsity team. This junior varsity official received a standing ovation at our next meeting.