The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "Beckoning Coach" for an injured player (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49942-beckoning-coach-injured-player.html)

imagomer Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:45pm

"Beckoning Coach" for an injured player

Anyone here ever T'd up a coach for coming onto the court for an injury, unbeckoned? How do you beckon, generally? I coach HS Girls - had an injured player and I waited to be beckoned, but was not (as far as I could tell). When officials removed themselves from the immediate are of the injured player, I interpreted their departure as an invitation to attend to my player, so I did. After the game, in a reasonable conversation, I asked them if/how they beckoned, and the official who was closer to the injury said he had shouted "she's choking!" and he figured that was enough. (I didn't hear him, though I was watching him for a signal to come onto the court) I can't think of a reasonable instance where I would really get T'd for going onto the court for a real injury, provided I hadn't already misbehaved badly - but this got me to thinking - how do you guys usually communicate to the coach that he is invited to attend to the player?

Ch1town Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagomer (Post 551498)
how do you guys usually communicate to the coach?

What's that? j/k

Usually a couple tweets accompanied by waving them onto the court. Sort of like how we beckon subs in.

For the record, under certain situations I doubt that I'd T if they were to run onto the court unbeckoned... safety first.

JRutledge Tue Nov 18, 2008 01:11pm

I have never called a T for that and I cannot imagine I would. The only way I could see this if the coach came onto the court and the player was clearly not hurt or clearly not in danger. But if they come onto the court without a "real" beckoning, then they are beckoned as a common sense application. Usually most coaches know if they come out on the court the player is going to be subbed for.

Peace

doubleringer Tue Nov 18, 2008 01:24pm

Never done it for that, but I did have a beckoned coach come to me instead of going to her player to tell me there had to be a foul because her player was hurt. That one got dealt with.

Y2Koach Tue Nov 18, 2008 01:49pm

How would you suggest dealing with an official that stands over a player and tells him to "stop faking" and "get your @$$ up" and tries to administer the throw-in while the player is still on the ground?

JugglingReferee Tue Nov 18, 2008 01:56pm

If I see a coach come onto the court on their own, I beckon them automatically and 100% of the time. This will help in the administration of the injury - when I saw the player injured, I beckoned the coach.

If a coach came onto the court to an uninjured player, and affected the opponents, of course I have a T.

JugglingReferee Tue Nov 18, 2008 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y2Koach (Post 551511)
How would you suggest dealing with an official that stands over a player and tells him to "stop faking" and "get your @$$ up" and tries to administer the throw-in while the player is still on the ground?

Possible suspension from doing games.

jdmara Tue Nov 18, 2008 02:15pm

Quote:

Contact your state's licensing body. Ridiculous!

If there is an injury the coach is always beckoned in my opinion.

-Josh

Adam Tue Nov 18, 2008 08:52pm

Coach gets the benefit of the doubt on this, but the player will come out or a timeout will be burned.

Adam Tue Nov 18, 2008 08:52pm

Quote:

Tar and feathers should work well.

Mark Padgett Tue Nov 18, 2008 09:39pm

A few years ago, I had a game in which a kid fell down hard so I stopped play. The coach ran right out before I could beckon him. The kid was fine and I told the coach he either had to come out or the team had to take a timeout. The coach said that since he wasn't "called out", it didn't count and the kid could stay in without the timeout. I replied that if that was the way he wanted it, I would then rule that he came onto the floor without being beckoned and it would be a technical - his choice.

He took the timeout. :rolleyes:

BillyMac Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:10pm

To call or summon by a silent gesture ...

Not by rule, but is has been strongly suggested to my local board members, by all three of our local interpreters, over twenty-seven years, that if a player appears hurt, and the coach comes out onto the floor, then you have beckoned him. Also, if a fight breaks out, and if the coaches come out to help break up the fight, then, again, they have been beckoned.