The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Preparing for partners who are new

I'd appreciate hearing what you vets out there do to prepare for working with 1st year officials. This was me last year and now I have several scimmages and a few games with brand new- maybe 1st time on the floor officials.

I was fortunate to have partners who made me feel as relaxed and comfortable as possible. Never a cross word, always an explanation about a rule, mechanic or a situation. I would like to be able to do the same for this year's new class.

Any particular checklist of things to go over that are over and above the regular pregame conference? Have you ever informed a coach that "hey, my partner today is doing his first game/in his first year" type of stuff? How do you respond to a coach who is asking you about partner's positioning, blown call etc? I will always stick up for my partner, however, what happens when there is an obvious blown call (one is fine, a series is different) and the coaches are on you about him/her?

Thanks for your thoughts
Z
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 01:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pregame, Long Version ...

Here's the long version of my pregame, that I only use with rookie offcials, and sometimes for offcials that I've never worked with before:

Coaches And Captains
Players properly equipped. Players wear uniforms properly. Practice good sportsmanship.

Lead’s Primary Responsibilities
Primary coverage area. Post play. Illegal screens at elbows.

Trail’s Primary Responsibilities
Primary coverage area “works the arc”. Weak side rebound coverage. Drives starting in primary. Last second shot, basket interference, goaltending. Bring subs in.

Stay In Your Primary, It Must Be Obvious To Come Out Of Your Primary
If something is there that needs to be called, call it. Seldom should have four eyes on the ball. We’re not going to have too many double whistles if we are doing this right. Keep in mind your boundary line responsibilities and last second shot responsibilities. Put the ball in play where it goes out of bounds,
or where the foul is.

Out-Of-Bounds Help
For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. Come together for a change if needed. If I have no idea and I look to you for help, just give a directional signal. No need to come to me. Just point. If I signal but I get it wrong, then blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.

Two-Point / Three-Point Shot
If one official incorrectly signals the number of points, the other official will simply blow the whistle immediately, discuss the play with our partner, come to a decision, signal the correct number of points to the table, and resume the game. We will only correct if we are 100% sure.

Last Second Shot
Let’s let each other know when there’s less than a minute in each period. 99% of the time, the Trail will be responsible for the call. Let’s both have an opinion in case Trail’s not sure. How will we handle a full-court pass when the Trail is stuck in the backcourt?

Goaltending And Basket Interference
99% of the time, the Trail will be responsible for the call. Lead can help out on a quick shot in transition, when Trail hasn’t made it into the frontcourt yet. Let’s remember that it’s never basket interference or goaltending to slap the backboard. Coaches and fans always want it, but we can’t award the points.

Press Coverage
Help each other. New Lead will wait at midcourt.

Throw Ins
On throwins, count five players each team, check the table, check the clock, good eye contact before putting ball in play. A hand up in the air by the off official means not ready.

Timeout Mechanics
When the ball is dead, we must be alive. Team calling timeout must have player dribbling or holding the ball. Both officials must know the game situation when play resumes following a timeout (team, direction, spot or run baseline, shooter, number of shots). One official at spot of throwin or free throw line with ball facing direction in which it will be put into play. Other official at division line, quarter for 30 second and three quarters for 60 second.

Game Situation Awareness
We should quickly check the clock after every whistle to make sure the clock stops properly. We should check the clock every time it should start to make sure it does so. Let’s try to be aware of the foul count during the game. Communicate at sixth and ninth fouls. We don’t want to be surprised when it’s time to shoot the bonus. If we know that the next foul will result in bonus free throws, then we’ll be more likely to remember our shooter. Off official should help identifying free throw shooter.

Ball-Handler / Hand-Checking
Places both hands on a ball-handler, it is a foul. Continuously places a hand on the ball-handler, it is a foul. Continuously jabs a hand or forearm on a ball-handler, it is a foul. Remember RSBQ. If the dribbler’s Rhythm, Speed, Balance, or Quickness are affected, we should have a hand-checking foul.

Post Play
Let’s not allow a defender to use a leg or knee to move a player off the block. Let’s make sure the offensive player isn’t holding off the defender, or holding him with his off-hand. As Lead, let’s find the post matchup as soon as possible so that we get the first foul. Remember RIDD. Don’t let players Redirect, Impede, Displace, or Dislodge.

Screens
We must work hard off the ball. In the first half especially, let’s clean up the screening action. The screening action will be right in front of the defensive coach in the first half, so if the coach sees an illegal screen, we should too.

Pass And Crash
Let’s have the Lead official follow the pass, stay with the ball. The Trail will be responsible for the crash.

Double Whistles
Let’s both hold our preliminary signal and not give a block or player control signal. Make eye contact with each other. Give the call to whoever has the primary coverage, unless you definitely have something different that happened first, in which case we’ll talk about it.

Foul Mechanics
Preliminary signal given at spot of foul for all common fouls. Calling official must designate throwin spot or number of shots. Noncalling official, get the shooter. If the ball enters the basket, inform partner that ball went in.

Technical Fouls
If I T a coach, get me away from the coach. The situation is heated and I don’t want to whack the coach back-to-back. Let’s move away from the benches. Non calling official should inform the coach that the coaching box privilege has been lost. Let’s get together and make sure we administer the penalty or penalties correctly and in the correct order and at the correct basket. If one official issues a warning to somebody, player, or coach, make sure the other official knows. If I’ve already warned the coach, the coach shouldn’t get a free shot at you.

Consistency
Let’s see if we can call the same game. Be consistent with each other. Let’s try to remember what we’ve called earlier in the game, and what we haven’t called. Be consistent with what has already happened in the game.

Last Two Minutes
Near the end of the game, be aware of coaches calling time-outs and be sure to inform them after they have used all their time outs. Let’s not put the whistles away in the last two minutes: That wouldn’t be consistent with the way we’ve been calling the game. We’re not calling anything in the last two minutes if we haven’t already called it earlier in the game, unless it’s so blatant that it can’t be ignored. If the game dictates it, let the players win or lose the game at the line. We don’t want to be the ones who decide the game by ignoring obvious fouls just to get the game over. If the winning team is just holding the ball and is willing to take the free throws after strategic fouls, then let’s call the foul immediately, so the ballhandler doesn’t get hit harder to draw a whistle. Let’s make sure there is a play on the ball by the defense. If there’s no play on the ball, if the defense grabs the jersey, or pushes from behind, or bear hugs the offensive player, we should consider an intentional foul. These are not basketball plays and should be penalized as intentional.

Effort And Attitude
Every game is the most important game being played anywhere tonight for these kids, fans, and coaches. Let’s make sure we officiate the game keeping that in mind, through effort, and attitude.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 01:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Suggestions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
Have you ever informed a coach that "hey, my partner today is doing his first game/in his first year" type of stuff? How do you respond to a coach who is asking you about partner's positioning, blown call etc? I will always stick up for my partner, however, what happens when there is an obvious blown call (one is fine, a series is different) and the coaches are on you about him/her?
Have you ever informed a coach that "hey, my partner today is doing his first game/in his first year: No. You simply take over the introductions by saying "Hello Coach Smith, I'm Bob Jones, and this is my partner John Doe", or "Hello Coach Smith, nice to see you again. This is my partner John Doe"

How do you respond to a coach who is asking you about partner's positioning, blown call etc? I will always stick up for my partner, however, what happens when there is an obvious blown call (one is fine, a series is different) and the coaches are on you about him/her?:

Coach is questioning a partner’s call:
“Coach, that’s a good call, as a crew we have to make that call.”
“We’re calling it on both ends.”
“Coach, he/she was right there and had a great angle.”
“Coach, we’re not going there, I can’t let you criticize my partner.”
“Coach, he/she had a great look, but if you have a specific question, you’ll have to ask him/her, he/she’ll be over here in just a minute.”

Coach has a good point and might be right.
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 01:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

My initial thought is just to continue working on your game. As a 2nd year guy, I wouldn't worry about most of Billy's stuff.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 02:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Any particular checklist of things to go over that are over and above the regular pregame conference? Have you ever informed a coach that "hey, my partner today is doing his first game/in his first year" type of stuff? How do you respond to a coach who is asking you about partner's positioning, blown call etc? I will always stick up for my partner, however, what happens when there is an obvious blown call (one is fine, a series is different) and the coaches are on you about him/her?

Z
You should always have a pre-game no matter who you are working with. As you get more experienced the things you talk about will change, but you always want a pre-game.

You do not want to alert the coach of the experience level or lack of experience of partner, especially before the game. That is a big no-no!! Coaches often do not know the difference anyway and you do not need to give them more ammo to go crazy.

Lastly we all blow calls. It is not your responsibility to save your partner if they mess up a call. What you do not want to happen is a rule or obvious mistakes go unaddressed during a game. You know like not shooting the right FTs and putting the ball in the wrong spot. But you do not have the responsibility to take back a judgment call or some other play they called in their area. And most of all you need to communicate to your partner. And when you think you have communicated enough, communicate some more. And keep in mind you have not been doing this very long, so you have to worry about your job too. If you worry so much about your partner, you forget about yourself.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 02:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
My initial thought is just to continue working on your game. As a 2nd year guy, I wouldn't worry about most of Billy's stuff.
I agree.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Oh, I absolutely agree. I am certainly not implying that I am now the Wizard of Pregame, or of anything else. Just concerned about how to handle certain situations... I KNOW that my partners last year took care of me and I didn't always ask what they said. I figured if they wanted me to know, they'd tell me.

One of my goals this year is coach/sideline control, which means more interaction with the coaches than I had last year. I want to avoid any catastrophic land mines in my brief interactions on the sidelines...

Z
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 07:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Regarding press coverage, I always tell my partner that I'll do the talking with the press, and if it's radio or TV coverage, I'll do the interview. As to covering the last two minutes, I remind my partner to make sure one of us comes up with a call that eliminates the possibility of overtime.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Just do an easy pre-game about how you're going to handle things and review the basics. Be calm and reassuring, and whether you have confidence in their ability or not, do not let them know you have doubts. I know of guys who make their newbie partners nervous wrecks before and during the game. Remember, we were all newbies once and people helped us out a lot!
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 09:51pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
I KNOW that my partners last year took care of me and I didn't always ask what they said. I figured if they wanted me to know, they'd tell me.
In some ways you've answered your own question.

Treat your new partners well (like you were treated by the good officials last yr) AND just as importantly, remember what you didn't like about last yr and help to improve on that for them.

PS - Always remind them to have fun....and welcome to the Forum!
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 10:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Oh, I absolutely agree. I am certainly not implying that I am now the Wizard of Pregame, or of anything else. Just concerned about how to handle certain situations... I KNOW that my partners last year took care of me and I didn't always ask what they said. I figured if they wanted me to know, they'd tell me.

One of my goals this year is coach/sideline control, which means more interaction with the coaches than I had last year. I want to avoid any catastrophic land mines in my brief interactions on the sidelines...

Z
Fair enough.

Never tell a coach how long you or your partner have been reffing; unless you've been doing it since before he was born (also known as the Padgett Clause).

Never tell a coach your partner missed a call, or a series of calls. If he asks about your partner's call, tell him he'll need to ask your partner when he gets a chance.

Keep an eye on your partner when he's talking to the coaches, to make sure he's not taking more than he should. But it's best to generally let your partner speak for himself. If you see he's getting distracted by the coach, talk to your partner about taking care of business. Offer to step in with the T if he needs you to.

Pregame? Tell him to relax and call what he sees. Tell him to have fun. Then, right before you take the court, tell him to check his zipper.

The last step should be skipped if you don't have a dressing room.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

I rode up with the crew that was doing the game before my varsity game. That crew had a newbie who I had worked with at one of our jamborees (pre-season scrimmages where we work with new officials). His partner wasnt really on the ball and instead of pregaming went and talked to the AD. So I took the newbie and kept it simple. I went over court coverage real quick. I reassured him, said he would do a good job and said:

"95% of basketball is easy and you already know it--blocks, charges, travels, out of bounds. You know those calls, just call what you see. Leave the other 5% to your partner. You just do three things tonite: 1. blow your whistle and blow it hard when you see something, 2. get your hand up, and 3. make eye contact with your partner before you put the ball in play."

He did a fine job and I told him so. Building confidence in the newbie is the most important thing I think we can do.

As a general matter, I think newbies get a ton of stuff thrown at them and it helps for that first game to just slow them down, focus them on the very basics and reassure them that their partners are there to help them.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How do you respond to a coach who is asking you about partner's positioning, blown call etc? I will always stick up for my partner, however, what happens when there is an obvious blown call (one is fine, a series is different) and the coaches are on you about him/her?

Z

"Coach, he's a good official. Let him work."
"Coach, that play was right in front of him...let's trust him. He's a good official."
"He had a different angle than you and I did."
"Coach, I understand. We'll talk about that at half-time."

As a "veteran" official, let the "rookie" make the calls in his area and you worry about everything else; players, coaches, benches, table, clock, subs, time-outs, goofy plays, etc.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 01:35pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaref View Post
"95% of basketball is easy and you already know it--blocks, charges, travels, out of bounds. You know those calls, just call what you see. Leave the other 5% to your partner. You just do three things tonite: 1. blow your whistle and blow it hard when you see something, 2. get your hand up, and 3. make eye contact with your partner before you put the ball in play."

He did a fine job and I told him so. Building confidence in the newbie is the most important thing I think we can do.

As a general matter, I think newbies get a ton of stuff thrown at them and it helps for that first game to just slow them down, focus them on the very basics and reassure them that their partners are there to help them.
This is the best advice I have seen for first year officials. Obviously the more they get on the floor the more they will be responsible for, but the KISS principle seems to be the best policy.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

My first game I asked my partner if I should tell the coaches that this is my first game. He said "No, they'll figure it out soon enough!"