The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Validation

I'm looking for validation on the following question.

The head coach may leave the coaching box to go to the scorer’s table to rectify a scoring mistake only if beckoned by an official.

I would agree with that statement with the logic that rectifying the score is not one of the reasons to which the coach may approach the scorer's table (10-5-1) however if her is beckoned by an official I would believe that to be appropriate.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 02:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
The head coach may leave the coaching box to go to the scorer’s table to rectify a scoring mistake only if beckoned by an official.
Read rule 10 concerning head coaches.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

So let me get this straight....you are saying that rule 10-5-1c that states....

"The head coach may stand and/or leave the coaching box to confer with personnel at the score's table to request a time-out as in 5-8-4."

That he/she as the coach may approach the scorer's table without being "beckoned" by the official?

Because 5-8-4 says....

"....Responds to the score's signal to grant a coach's request that a correctable error, as in 2-10, or a timing, scoring or alternating-possession mistake be prevented or rectified. The appeal to the official shall be presented at the scorer's table where a coach of each team may be present."

So now as I re-read that it seems that it is permissible for the coach to leave the box in order to "rectify" a score even if the official doesn't beckon him, and consequently making the statement false because it says "only if".
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

False, a coach can go to the scorers table to bring an error to the attention of the score keeper and officials without being beckoned. How would the officials know to beckon the coach if they don't even know there is an error yet?
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

The head coach may also confer with personnel at scorer's table to request a 60-second time-out (or one 30-second time-out if that is the only type of time-out remaining) for a correctable error as in 2-10, or to prevent or rectify a timing or scoring mistake or alternating possession mistake.

I can not find anywhere in the rule book that says the coach must be beckoned to the table to rectify a mistake. Not sure where you get that. There is a timeout charged to his team if there is no correction made.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post

I can not find anywhere in the rule book that says the coach must be beckoned to the table to rectify a mistake. Not sure where you get that. There is a timeout charged to his team if there is no correction made.

It wasn't from the rule book rather one of the test questions that stated that a coach could only approach the scorer's table if beckoned by an official.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post

Do you know where that rule is that states that if no correction is made a timeout will be charged to the team?
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you know where that rule is that states that if no correction is made a timeout will be charged to the team?
Yes, I do.

In case you want to know (and, I guess, even if you don't), it's 5-11-3
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

perfect. Thank you!
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

So if Team A is out of time-outs but knows the score is wrong and calls a time-out to rectify it, play will be stopped and the time-out awarded. Then if the score is found to be wrong there will be no Technical foul on Team A correct? However if it is found to be the right score then Team A is assessed a technical foul?
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So if Team A is out of time-outs but knows the score is wrong and calls a time-out to rectify it, play will be stopped and the time-out awarded. Then if the score is found to be wrong there will be no Technical foul on Team A correct? However if it is found to be the right score then Team A is assessed a technical foul?
Correct.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

What is the procedure/wording for the head coach to use?

Call timeout and then when it's granted tell the ref "I called this timeout for a correctable error purpose only".
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 05:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post

Call timeout and then when it's granted tell the ref "I called this timeout for a correctable error purpose only".
You start with "I beg the humble pardon of your excellency, oh exalted one." Then, the rest of what you said is OK, as long as you're on your knees.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post

No. The correct procedure is to GO TO THE SCORER'S TABLE AND REQUEST THE TIME-OUT as the rule says. The scorer will signal and notify the nearest official at the first appropriate time.

If the coach simply requests a time-out directly to the official or has a player make the request, then the proper procedure is not being followed and BY THE BOOK a technical foul for an excess time-out would be charged no matter what is done with the score. However, in practice most officials would deal with the possible error and then bend the rule a bit by not charging the team with the time-out, if they were correct.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 12:40am.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 10:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Team member, assistant coach, trainer, chaplain ???

It is my understanding that the head coach may not go to the table to ask about team time outs, team fouls, or personal fouls. Is that true? Citation please. Also, if that's true, who can go to the table to procure that information?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)