The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Couple questions???

Last night myself and a few officials got together to go over our exam. We disagreed with the following questions:

1) At the beginning of the third quarter, Team A takes an excessive time-out. The scorer fails to notify the official. After the third period ends, the scorer inform the official that Team A's last time-out was an excessive time-out. The official rules an excessive time-out must be recognized within the correctable error time frame to penalize. Is the official correct? I said yes. My partners stated that an excessive time-out is not one of the correctable errors and they had no. Any feed-back would be helpful.

2) B-1 commits his fifth foul. Prior to B1's substitute reporting, A6 reports to enter the game.The official rules A6 may not enter because he has not reported before B1 committed his fifth foul. Is the official correct. I said yes. My partners stated that the official worded the reason wrong and answered no. Any thoughts?
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartans View Post
last night myself and a few officials got together to go over our exam. We disagreed with the following questions:

1) at the beginning of the third quarter, team a takes an excessive time-out. The scorer fails to notify the official. After the third period ends, the scorer inform the official that team a's last time-out was an excessive time-out. The official rules an excessive time-out must be recognized within the correctable error time frame to penalize. Is the official correct? I said yes. My partners stated that an excessive time-out is not one of the correctable errors and they had no. Any feed-back would be helpful.

2) b-1 commits his fifth foul. Prior to b1's substitute reporting, a6 reports to enter the game.the official rules a6 may not enter because he has not reported before b1 committed his fifth foul. Is the official correct. I said yes. My partners stated that the official worded the reason wrong and answered no. Any thoughts?
1. The excess time-out is penalized when discovered.

2. A6 may enter at anytime up until the DQ'd player, B1, is replaced.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 08:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Penalized when discovered ...

Quote:
At the beginning of the third quarter, Team A takes an excessive time-out. The scorer fails to notify the official. After the third period ends, the scores inform the official that Team A's last time-out was an excessive time-out. The official rules an excessive time-out must be recognized within the correctable error time frame to penalize. Is the official correct? I said yes. My partners stated that an excessive time-out is not one of the correctable errors and they had no. Any feed-back would be helpful.
Penalized when discovered: A team shall not request an excess timeout; Team technical foul. The penalty for an excessive timeout is assessed when discovered.

No time constraints. The scorekeeper can inform the officials about the excessive time out several live balls, dead balls, started clocks, stopped clocks, later; even up to, but not beyond, the officials leaving the visual confines of the gym. If the excessive timeout is taken in the first period, the scorekeeper can inform the offcials late in the fourth period, during a live ball, or during a dead ball, and the offcials are still going to penalize.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

You can find these rule references in the past interps archive

2007-08 Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 1: B1 is injured to the point that bench personnel are beckoned to the court. After B1 has been safely moved to the bench, Team B's head coach is notified that a substitute is required and instructs the timer to begin the 20-second replacement interval. Just as the interval begins, two substitutes from Team A approach the scorer's table to enter the game. RULING: Substitutes from either team may enter the game during this dead-ball period until the officials are ready to put the ball in play. The replacement interval is only for the substitute required for B1. If an eligible substitute does not report for B1 by the end of 20 seconds, a technical foul is assessed directly to the Team B head coach. (3-3-1d; 3-3-5; 10-5-3 Penalty)

SITUATION 11: A1 requests and is granted an excessive time-out. The excessive time-out is discovered (a) immediately; (b) when A1 has the ball at his/her disposal for a throw-in following the time-out; (c) during a dead ball after three minutes have elapsed off the game clock. RULING: In (a), (b) and (c), assess a team technical foul to Team A for the excessive time-out. Team B is awarded two free throws and the ball for a division line throw-in. The penalty for an excessive time-out is assessed when discovered. (10-1-7 Penalty)

2003-04 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS

SITUATION 3: A5 is called for a fifth foul. The proper official notifies the head coach and instructs the timer to begin timing the replacement interval. After the 20-second warning horn and before the required substitute for A5 approaches the scorer’s table, (a) B6 and B7 report to the official scorer; (b) A6, who is replacing A1 reports to the official scorer; or (c) A3 requests a time-out. RULING: In (a) and (b), the properly reported substitutes shall be permitted to enter the game. In (c), a time-out shall not be granted while a replacement for A5 is pending. (3-3-1d; 5-8-3b)
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

BTW... to the forum.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 09:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Welcome To The Jungle, I Mean The Forum ...

Quote:
Last night myself and a few officials got together to go over our exam.
spartans: I didn't realize you were a newbie. Welcome. Nice username, my high school's mascot. "Go Spartans".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last night myself and a few officials got together to go over our exam. We disagreed with the following questions:

1) At the beginning of the third quarter, Team A takes an excessive time-out. The scorer fails to notify the official. After the third period ends, the scorer inform the official that Team A's last time-out was an excessive time-out. The official rules an excessive time-out must be recognized within the correctable error time frame to penalize. Is the official correct? I said yes. My partners stated that an excessive time-out is not one of the correctable errors and they had no. Any feed-back would be helpful.

2) B-1 commits his fifth foul. Prior to B1's substitute reporting, A6 reports to enter the game.The official rules A6 may not enter because he has not reported before B1 committed his fifth foul. Is the official correct. I said yes. My partners stated that the official worded the reason wrong and answered no. Any thoughts?
Any time you allow an unusual substitution, like when a player commits his fifth foul, you allow any other subs that are ready to also enter at the same time.