The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Sorry, didn't mean everything afterwards, just during unmerited throw, edited above! I guess I would have to agree that after the ball is live, since Team B has picked the ball up and was ready to throw it in, but I just don't think that it should be Team B's throw in unless that ball came in. Now after it came in, I would totally agree, but since it hasn't, I'm still wanting to go with the arrow in this one!
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie View Post
Now after it came in, I would totally agree, but since it hasn't, I'm still wanting to go with the arrow in this one!
You may feel that is more fair, but it simply doesn't jive with the rules.

And, as many have pointed out here - the correctable error rules were not written to be fair.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
If B has the ball for the throw-in, it's live. If they throw the ball in and time starts and then we discover the error, obviously B is getting the ball back where they had it.

I see absolutely no rules justification to make this case ruling correct...
I just think that this is another rule justification where we need TEAM CONTROL FOR THROW IN'S, due to no team having control even though the ball is live for the throw in, I'm pretty sure this is why they are going back and going Alt. Poss.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just think that this is another rule justification where we need TEAM CONTROL FOR THROW IN'S, due to no team having control even though the ball is live for the throw in, I'm pretty sure this is why they are going back and going Alt. Poss.
Sorry, but you are incorrect with your reasoning. POI explicitly applies to throw ins. If you have an accidental whistle during a throw in, do you go to the AP because there is no team control? No.

4-36-2...Play shall be resumed by one of the following methods:

b. A free throw or throw-in when the interruption occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such.

The error was discovered (this is the interruption) during a throw-in. Therefore, correct the error (cancel the score of the unmerited FT) and then go to the POI (B's throw-in).
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I would have to agree that the correctable error penalties need to be re-written to go along with POI interps...
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess I would have to agree that the correctable error penalties need to be re-written to go along with POI interps...
these are not penalties, it is a correction of an error that occured due to in some cases the officials lack of attention to detail (i.e. awarding FT not merrited, not awarding merrited FT's, wrong shooter, wrong basket, you can put those all in the I was sleeping catagory for the most part).

So all you are doing is fixing the mistake made and returning to play where you stopped. the most dificult thing I come up with in this process is determining if we are within the period of time where the mistake is correctable.

putting the ball back in play where we stopped in most cases is the simplest way to do it.
NCAA -Art 5 describes it fairly clearly.
Art 5 when an error is corrected play shall be resumed from the point of interuption to correct the error, unless the correction involves the failure to award merritted free throw (s) and there has been no change of possession since the error was made. In that case, play shall resume as after any normal free throw.