The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

elbow to face

A1, standing at the elbow of the lane, pivots his elbows to avaoid a defender and makes direct contact to the chin of B1. What are your options?

personal foul?
flagrant personal foul?
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 04:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTRef View Post
A1, standing at the elbow of the lane, pivots his elbows to avaoid a defender and makes direct contact to the chin of B1. What are your options?

personal foul?
flagrant personal foul?
1. Incidental contact
2. personal foul/team control foul/player control foul (depending upon who has the ball)
3. intentional personal foul
4. flagrant personal foul
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
1. Incidental contact
2. personal foul/team control foul/player control foul (depending upon who has the ball)
3. intentional personal foul
4. flagrant personal foul
I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around the difference between an intentional personal foul and a flagrant personal foul when an elbow is involved. If its intentional that would seem to make it flagrant.

Any examples?
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 11:15am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around the difference between an intentional personal foul and a flagrant personal foul when an elbow is involved. If its intentional that would seem to make it flagrant.
First of all, we have to remember that it can be an intentional foul without the player doing it "on purpose". The intentional foul can be for excessive contact. He might not realize where the defender is and pivot quickly, trying to "clear space", and accidentally -- but excessively -- contact the defender. Intentional, but not flagrant.

However, if you judge that the player "on purpose" used his elbow to hit an opponent in the head, I would agree that would very likely be flagrant.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTRef View Post

personal foul?
flagrant personal foul?
How does one pivot their elbows? And then avoid a defender by hitting him on the chin?

Using Nevada's bullets, I come to these examples:

1. Incidental contact - When A1 pivots to throw a pass or to shoot and B1's chin happens to be in the way with no displacement.

2. personal foul/team control foul/player control foul (depending upon who has the ball) When A1 pivots to throw a pass or to shoot and B1 has LGP and is displaced...same as if he hit him in the chest, chin, shoulder, whatever.

3. intentional personal foul Same as 2 above..only with visible intent and or excessive contact.

4. flagrant personal foul Same as #3 except added violent intentions and byebye
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post

Any examples?
There's a difference between an Intentional Foul (note the initial caps -- this is a defined term) and the word "intentional" (note no initial caps) in the definition of Flagrant Foul. Read that word as "purposefully" or "deliberately" to help avoid teh confusion.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 11:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
First of all, we have to remember that it can be an intentional foul without the player doing it "on purpose". The intentional foul can be for excessive contact. He might not realize where the defender is and pivot quickly, trying to "clear space", and accidentally -- but excessively -- contact the defender. Intentional, but not flagrant.

However, if you judge that the player "on purpose" used his elbow to hit an opponent in the head, I would agree that would very likely be flagrant.
Accidental and excessive = Intentional ?
Unintentional and excessive = Intentional ?

Dunno.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 12:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post

Dunno.
Dat's da rule.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
How does one pivot their elbows? And then avoid a defender by hitting him on the chin?
Different defender??
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 02:18pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post

Dunno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Dat's da rule.
Doesn't say that in my book, Snaqs.
SECTION 19 FOUL

ART. 3 . . . An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul which neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position. Contact away from the ball or when not making a legitimate attempt to play the ball or a player, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting, shall be intentional. Intentional fouls may or may not be premeditated and are not based solely on the severity of the act. A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player causes excessive contact with an opponent.

Excessive contact and accidental/unintentional contact are not automatically Intentional. In Scrapper's case:
"He might not realize where the defender is and pivot quickly, trying to "clear space", and accidentally -- but excessively -- contact the defender. Intentional, but not flagrant."
...it may be a player control foul, and that is the difference between no shots and two + the ball.