The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Video for self evaluation

A couple of us cadets have thought it would be a good idea to video ourselves to see how we look- not a novel thought I know, but my concern is how can we cover all bases to make sure everyone's OK with the taping.

My thought is to speak to our assignor, our partner(s) and the league director to make sure it's OK to video tape for our own personal use.

Any thoughts on this? How have you all done this before? One camera focused on one end? Multiple cameras? Hire Scorsese?
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
A couple of us cadets have thought it would be a good idea to video ourselves to see how we look- not a novel thought I know, but my concern is how can we cover all bases to make sure everyone's OK with the taping.

My thought is to speak to our assignor, our partner(s) and the league director to make sure it's OK to video tape for our own personal use.

Any thoughts on this? How have you all done this before? One camera focused on one end? Multiple cameras? Hire Scorsese?
Around this area, each team (for varsity) tapes the games anyways for scouting purposes. We typically just request a copy of the tape from the AD and he gets us a copy

-Josh
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Getting the game film from the teams are a great way to get video of yourself. Bring a blank vhs tape or dvd and a self addressed envelope with postage attached. Ask the coach before the game if it's possible to get a copy of the game film and most of the time they will comply and mail it to you.

The better option is to have someone tape the game and to focus on keeping the officials in the picture. Game film from teams will have all the dead ball periods cut out. The only thing coaches are interested in are live ball play. If you have someone taping for you then they can tape all the dead ball periods (reporting to the table, how you stand during timeouts, interactions with players and coaches during dead ball periods,etc) and I would suggest having them sit half way up the bleachers directly behind the scorer's table. This will allow them to see both sides of the court while zooming in and taping you when you report to the table. Buy a wide angle lens for your camcorder if you have the money b/c it will help to see the officials on the edges when the camera is focused on the ball.

Last edited by All_Heart; Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 09:49am.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 03:51am
Whack! Get Out!!!

If you bring your own video camera and someone to video you there shouldn't be a problem. You are in a public place and should be allowed to video.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the replies- We are officiating sub varsity games and they don't video the games, at least not here. We hope to be with the big boys later this year or have a halfway decent varsity schedule next year, but we were thinking in terms of observing ourselves- positioning, mechanics, reporting etc.