The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

2 Man - Ball-Side Mechanic

First post to this site from a rookie!

I'm in my first year of reffing, so have been studying the Rules Books, Casebook, Mechanics, etc., and have a lot of learning to do. My first of probably many questions:

Worked my first game last night (MS girls).... As part of pregame, I asked my partner about when Lead should shift to the same side of the court as Trail. Partner (8 year veteran) looked at me funny and said "never - Lead should always stay opposite of trail in two man" So I felt kind of stupid and said O.K.

After the game, I checked the Officials Manual and sure enough found the section that discusses Ball-Side mechanics for Two-Man (2.3.3 of manual).

Here's my question: Does anyone use this mechanic in two man? If so, do you rarely slide over (i.e. only if all ten players are on your opposite side.) Is this mechanic relatively new?
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 12:10am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS View Post
First post to this site from a rookie!

I'm in my first year of reffing, so have been studying the Rules Books, Casebook, Mechanics, etc., and have a lot of learning to do. My first of probably many questions:

Worked my first game last night (MS girls).... As part of pregame, I asked my partner about when Lead should shift to the same side of the court as Trail. Partner (8 year veteran) looked at me funny and said "never - Lead should always stay opposite of trail in two man" So I felt kind of stupid and said O.K.

After the game, I checked the Officials Manual and sure enough found the section that discusses Ball-Side mechanics for Two-Man (2.3.3 of manual).

Here's my question: Does anyone use this mechanic in two man? If so, do you rarely slide over (i.e. only if all ten players are on your opposite side.) Is this mechanic relatively new?

BLS:

Welcome to the group, and never be a stranger.

First. Your partner is an idiot and an idiot who doesn't know proper mechanics.

Second. I am a proponent of ball-side mechanics. That being said, it takes a lot of experience to know when to go and when not to go. Take your time and concentrate on mastering on-ball and off-ball coverage. Don't be in a hurry to go ball side. My son is starting is second year of basketball officiating and he didn't go ball side in a game until about two-thirds of the way through the season and he thought it was a big deal.

Third. Take it slow. Try to observe games and watch it from the perspective of the lead official and try to decide of you would go ball side or not.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Going ball-side in 2 person is kind of a lightning rod issue, I've found.

If you're going to do it, you need to discuss in pre-game what the rules of engagement are. Will you:
  • Take the ball, or only off-ball
  • Take only the post, or take primary coverage for everything inside the arc
  • Will you remain responsible for your sideline, or will your partner shift his focus and take it
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

I have been using ball side mechanics since 1986. The association out west used ball-side mechanics before it was put into the mechanics manual this last time. It forces you to get into position. The sad thing about it is that most officials have not been trained in ball side mechanics. They wonder what you are doing..EVEN WHEN I PRE-GAME IT!!!!!!!

We use 2 man in this area except for playoffs, why? I don't know. Last year, the assignor came into the locker room and cussed me out for using ball side mechanics. I told him that I was using proper mechanics and he told me I didn't know how to officiate. When I showed him the mechanics book and the section on ball side mechanics, he just stared at me. He looked at the book just to make certain it was the correct mechanics book. He handed it back to me and just sat there and stared. The official and I looked at each other. He got up and walked out. He has not talked to me since. I was selected by the coaches to work the playoffs. He did not assign me any.

Ball side mechanics was developed by the NBA when they did 2 man. Our association had a great benefit of having NBA officials discuss how ball side mechanics work. One NBA official said that someday ball side mechanics will be at the college level and high school level. He was right.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 09:01am
Courageous When Prudent

It's something I do. And I definitely pre-game it with my partner.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

The situation that I always want the lead to come to the trail's side on is with the ball on the trail-side wing and a match-up in the post on that side. The trail can't see both match-ups and the only way for the lead to appropriately referee the post match-up is to come across the lane.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

BLS might be the exception to the rule, but I think that new officials have enough to do staying on their side and watching what's there rather than going across to "help out."
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

I was told by one of my assignors not to use ball-side mechanics and when i went to camp this summer was told to use them. The camp was primarily three-whistle, but there was some 2 man. I find it very beneficial to go ball side when you need to get a good view into the post. definitly a pre-game issue.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

I can relate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS View Post

I can relate a story from my first year (last year).

I had a girls JV game that featured a pretty good matchup of post players.
On two successive times down the court I am the lead tableside. Post play is on the opposite side of the lane. Ball goes into A1 (offensive player), she turns and goes up with shot. (I have closed down, but am on opposite side of lane from shooter.) Shot misses and is rebounded.

Coach says, as I run past, "she was fouled!", "coach, I didn't see it!"

Next time down it was like dejavu all over again... ball into A1 on opposite side of the lane, I close down (but don't venture across). A1 turns and shoots, misses. Again I am completely straightlined. I have nothing. Coach says, "she was hit on the arm!" Me: "coach I did not see it".

I don't know if the crowd saw it when the lightbulb went on over my head, but it was bright to me. I knew from reading about the need to go over, but it wasn't until i uttered "i didn't see it" twice in a row that I realized what it really meant. If I was going to officiate this game and that matchup I had to put myself in a position to do just that.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee View Post
I can relate a story from my first year (last year).

I had a girls JV game that featured a pretty good matchup of post players.
On two successive times down the court I am the lead tableside. Post play is on the opposite side of the lane. Ball goes into A1 (offensive player), she turns and goes up with shot. (I have closed down, but am on opposite side of lane from shooter.) Shot misses and is rebounded.

Coach says, as I run past, "she was fouled!", "coach, I didn't see it!"

Next time down it was like dejavu all over again... ball into A1 on opposite side of the lane, I close down (but don't venture across). A1 turns and shoots, misses. Again I am completely straightlined. I have nothing. Coach says, "she was hit on the arm!" Me: "coach I did not see it".

I don't know if the crowd saw it when the lightbulb went on over my head, but it was bright to me. I knew from reading about the need to go over, but it wasn't until i uttered "i didn't see it" twice in a row that I realized what it really meant. If I was going to officiate this game and that matchup I had to put myself in a position to do just that.
My general rule of when to go across....

Look there, go there.

Meaning....if there is a reason to look over there more than what is on your side, you should go across.