View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

I have been using ball side mechanics since 1986. The association out west used ball-side mechanics before it was put into the mechanics manual this last time. It forces you to get into position. The sad thing about it is that most officials have not been trained in ball side mechanics. They wonder what you are doing..EVEN WHEN I PRE-GAME IT!!!!!!!

We use 2 man in this area except for playoffs, why? I don't know. Last year, the assignor came into the locker room and cussed me out for using ball side mechanics. I told him that I was using proper mechanics and he told me I didn't know how to officiate. When I showed him the mechanics book and the section on ball side mechanics, he just stared at me. He looked at the book just to make certain it was the correct mechanics book. He handed it back to me and just sat there and stared. The official and I looked at each other. He got up and walked out. He has not talked to me since. I was selected by the coaches to work the playoffs. He did not assign me any.

Ball side mechanics was developed by the NBA when they did 2 man. Our association had a great benefit of having NBA officials discuss how ball side mechanics work. One NBA official said that someday ball side mechanics will be at the college level and high school level. He was right.