The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

right call?

I had a Rec league game the other night, the ball was on top of the rim and the opponent slapped the backboard. The ball rolled off the rim.I called a technical foul for slapping the backboard intentionally, and also counted the basket.Looked it up in the case book under basket interference and it only gives examples of grabbing onto rim or net. I think I was right on this call.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 12:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jref View Post
I had a Rec league game the other night, the ball was on top of the rim and the opponent slapped the backboard. The ball rolled off the rim.I called a technical foul for slapping the backboard intentionally, and also counted the basket.Looked it up in the case book under basket interference and it only gives examples of grabbing onto rim or net. I think I was right on this call.
What rule allows you to award this basket?
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Yes and No

Quote:
It can be a technical foul if you judge that hitting the backboard was not on the attempt to block the shot. However, you can never, ever count the basket because, contrary to logic, this is not BI. Did it interfere with the balll going in? Probably. It definitely seems logical that this would be basket interference. As a side note, this is one of my pet peeves. How can this not be considered BI? However, I'm not on the rules committee so what I think doesn't matter. It's not BI, by rule. The most you can get out of this is 2 free throws and the ball at the division line opposite the table. You can't count the basket.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Basket Interference if the ball is rolling around on top of the rim,or isn't the backboard part of the rim.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Basket Interference if the ball is rolling around on top of the rim,or isn't the backboard part of the rim.
The backboard is not part of the rim. Slapping the backboard can never be basket interference.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

No, the backboard is not part of the rim

Quote:
For BI you must have either:

A) contact with the ball while it is in the imaginary cylinder
B) contact with the net, rim or ball while the ball is within the basket or on the rim.

You can also have BI if you pull down on the rim while the ball is in the cylinder and the ball contacts the rim before it has returned to its original position.

The backboard is nothing when thinking in terms of BI.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 01:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
You asked a similar question already in this thread. MSG #5 cites the rule. If you didn't believe us then why would you now?

You sure this happened in your Rec League game and not on a recent test?

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Oct 27, 2008 at 01:52pm.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The "basket" is defined in 1-10-1
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
The most you can get out of this is 2 free throws and the ball at the division line opposite the table.
Two is the best you can do? Depending on how I explain the call to the coach, I can get four, even six free throws out of this. It's a gift.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 06:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Two is the best you can do? Depending on how I explain the call to the coach, I can get four, even six free throws out of this. It's a gift.
Have I ever told you you're my hero?
You're everything I wish I could be.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 09:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending is contacting the ball on its downward flight, above the level of the rim, with a chance to go in. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I thought of that after I posted it! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
However, the most you can get out the initial call is 2. What happens afterwards, well that's up to you and the coach! But why stop at 6? Once you toss the coach, you now have a new head coach with the opportunity of 4 more! You must be getting kinder in your old age!