The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Free Throw Violation....Question #2

My question is a followup question pertaining to a free throw violation (or not).

Is there a warning/violation if the opposing team players, lined up on the line, put there arms up by putting them out in front of them and then raising them up right as the shooter puts up the free throw? There obviously doing this to distract the shooter, so does this count as a violation?

Thanks
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 10:55pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial View Post
My question is a followup question pertaining to a free throw violation (or not).

Is there a warning/violation if the opposing team players, lined up on the line, put there arms up by putting them out in front of them and then raising them up right as the shooter puts up the free throw? There obviously doing this to distract the shooter, so does this count as a violation?

Thanks

No official warning. You either call a violation or you don't. But this doesn't mean you can't warn the player: "That distracts the shooter. Next time it will be a violation."

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 04:13am
Official Forum Member

There is no warning here.
It would be correct to simply penalize the disconcertion.
The proper mechanic is to use the delayed violation signal, and then wait to see if the FT is successful or not.

9-1-3 . . . After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower:
c. No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower.

PENALTIES: (Section 1)
2. If the violation is by the free-thrower’s opponent only:
a. If the try is successful, the goal counts and the violation is disre -
garded.
b. If the try is not successful, the ball becomes dead when the free throw
ends, and a substitute throw shall be attempted by the same free
thrower under conditions the same as for the free throw for which it is
substituted.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
No official warning. You either call a violation or you don't. But this doesn't mean you can't warn the player: "That distracts the shooter. Next time it will be a violation."
I'd be careful about using this wording for the warning -- it implies that you saw the vilation, but chose not to call it.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 12:01pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'd be careful about using this wording for the warning -- it implies that you saw the vilation, but chose not to call it.
The only time I do this is when the shot was good.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The only time I do this is when the shot was good.
In that case, you should still heed Bob's advice and alter your wording. Something such as "if he had missed, he would have gotten another shot" is more appropriate.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 07:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Live And Learn ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
In that case, you should still heed Bob's advice and alter your wording. Something such as "if he had missed, he would have gotten another shot" is more appropriate.
I've said this to middle school kids, and below. It makes it a learning experience, and I consider the statement to be very "appropriate".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 07:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I've said this to middle school kids, and below. It makes it a learning experience, and I consider the statement to be very "appropriate".
I've used this once on disconcertion in a ms AAU game. B1 walked to the top of the key and yelled just as A1 was attempting his free throw. Ball went in, and I warned the kid on the way down the court. He tried arguing with me about the rule. That's the only time I've ever warned a kid what he was doing was a violation.

Had a game one time where a girl would sneak down the sideline, below the FTL extended, during opponents' free throws. I never warned, I just waited for a miss. Took about three times before the shooter missed one.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 07:54pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

Lighten up. The exact wording was not the point. In fact I probably have said it more along these lines. The point is it's okay to give a brief warning/explanation to the players in this situation even though it is not done in any official capacity.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial View Post

I just noticed that the position of the defenders is illegal. They are not permitted to be ON the line. That's a lane violation no matter what they do with their hands. They may be along the lane though.