The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Last second three?

The score is tied. With 1 second ledft on the clock in he 4th quarter. A1 releases a jump shot from beyond the three point arc. After the release, but before A1 returns to the floor, B1 fouls A1. The foul is not intentional or flagrant. A1 's shot goes in the basket after the horn sounds. Ruling?
Count A1's three point basket;charge a foulto B1: and shoot no free throws???????
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

You got it!
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 08:34am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by surehands View Post
The score is tied. With 1 second ledft on the clock in he 4th quarter. A1 releases a jump shot from beyond the three point arc. After the release, but before A1 returns to the floor, B1 fouls A1. The foul is not intentional or flagrant. A1 's shot goes in the basket after the horn sounds. Ruling?
Count A1's three point basket;charge a foulto B1: and shoot no free throws???????
Since the release for the try was before the horn sounded, the attempt is good if ruled successful. Since A1's last position on the floor was beyond the arc, the try is a 3-point try. Since B1 fouled A1 before A1 returned to the floor, it is a "shooting foul". Since the basket went in, A leads by 3, and since the outcome of the game is already determined, do not shoot the free throws. Yes, do report the foul to the table. In fact, at the table, you would count the basket with a successful 3-point signal, report the foul, type of foul (blocking perhaps), and then state that the game is over.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 09:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Since the release for the try was before the horn sounded, the attempt is good if ruled successful. Since A1's last position on the floor was beyond the arc, the try is a 3-point try. Since B1 fouled A1 before A1 returned to the floor, it is a "shooting foul". Since the basket went in, A leads by 3, and since the outcome of the game is already determined, do not shoot the free throws. Yes, do report the foul to the table. In fact, at the table, you would count the basket with a successful 3-point signal, report the foul, type of foul (blocking perhaps), and then state that the game is over.
I've been looking for the ruling, but I cannot find it.

Do you have a reference for that? I may run into some kid that needs one more point for a 9th grade scoring record.
Thanks.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 09:54am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I've been looking for the ruling, but I cannot find it.
NFHS 5-6-2, Exception 3: "No free throw(s) shall be attempted after time has expired for the fourth quarter or any extra period, unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game."

NCAA 5-7-3.a.1 is the similar ruling for college.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 09:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
NFHS 5-6-2, Exception 3: "No free throw(s) shall be attempted after time has expired for the fourth quarter or any extra period, unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game."

NCAA 5-7-3.a.1 is the similar ruling for college.
Thank you kindly, Scrapper1
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
My first year officiating, I was doing a 8th grade girls game and A1 was fouled at the buzzer in the act of shooting. Team A was leading by two. I tooted, reported the foul and meekly said the game was over. A1 was almost bawling and wanted to shoot the free throws encouraged by a few parents and teammates. I said OK, and my veteran partner almost killed me.

I always bring it up talking about the good old days.

P.S. she clanked both shots.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 12:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I tooted
Ya' gotta stop eating burritos at halftime.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 12:36pm
MABO Member

Lets change this up just a bit.

The score is tied. With 1 second left on the clock in the 4th quarter. On a layup attempt, after the release, but before A1 returns to the floor, A1 contacts B1 who has established legal defensive position. The shot bounces on the rim a bit and then A1 's shot goes in the basket after the horn sounds. Ruling?

I would be interested if this ruling would be different for FIBA, NFHS, & NCAA.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.

Last edited by SmokeEater; Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 12:46pm.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 12:38pm
M.A.S.H.

Fed

Player control - no bucket, overtime.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Lets change this up just a bit.

The score is tied. With 1 second left on the clock in he 4th quarter. On a layup attempt, after the release, but before A1 returns to the floor, A1 contacts B1 who has established legal defensive position. The shot bounces on the rim a bit and then A1 's shot goes in the basket after the horn sounds. Ruling?

I would be interested if this ruling would be different for FIBA, NFHS, & NCAA.
Depends....not all contact is a foul.

But, you probably meant A1 knocked B1 on his or her dairy air. Then tjones1 has it right.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 12:50pm
Lighten up, Francis.

NCAA-M: Score the basket, shoot 1-and-1 at the other end if B is in the bonus. If either free throw misses, the game is over.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 12:54pm
MABO Member

Quote:
NCAA-M: Score the basket, shoot 1-and-1 at the other end if B is in the bonus. If either free throw misses, the game is over.
Womens and FIBA I believe is the same. This is based on the fact the ball has been released.

Thanks

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 01:02pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Womens and FIBA I believe is the same.
I'm 95% sure that NCAA-W is the same as NFHS on this. Actually, I just looked at the rulebook. I'm 100% sure. No basket, no free throws for NCAA-W.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 01:11pm
MABO Member

Quote:
I'm 95% sure that NCAA-W is the same as NFHS on this. Actually, I just looked at the rulebook. I'm 100% sure. No basket, no free throws for NCAA-W.
Ok thanks I stand corrected. Well actually I'm sitting.