The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

free throw violation?

Had my son in law ask me about a sits at his wreck league game the other night, dont know if I know the answer... A2 is on the free throw line to shoot a 1 and 1. The official tosses the ball to A2 who dribbles twice and then takes aim, as he does B5 walks from the arch area and enters a free lane space. A2 looks at the ref and says "aren't you going to call that?" The ref shruggs his shoulders and A2 tosses the ball back to the official. Does tossing the ball back constitute a shot or attempt or would it be a delay violation on A2 for not shooting? There are so many ways I can 2nd guess myself on this any help ............ would help???????????????
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 07:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Double violation. Had A2 taken his shot and missed (but hit the rim), he'd have had another try. (In a wreck league, I'd have explained this to him quickly.)

Go to the arrow.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 07:37pm
M.A.S.H.

Double violation.

I'd be quick to instruct the shooter to play the game and not worry about what's getting called and not called.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Hypothetical situation here: Lets say that the shooter shoots and airballs the free throw after B's player came into the lane and violated. How would you guys determine if A's shooter was disconcerted or not? I know it's a double violation, but is it completely our discretion as to whether or not A was disconcerted or not?
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 09:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yes, and unless the extra player came running in making a bunch of noise; I highly doubt I'm going with disconcertion here. 99.99999878798728341% sure, to give a rough estimate.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 06:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by co2ice View Post
Had my son in law ask me about a sits at his wreck league game the other night, dont know if I know the answer... A2 is on the free throw line to shoot a 1 and 1. The official tosses the ball to A2 who dribbles twice and then takes aim, as he does B5 walks from the arch area and enters a free lane space. A2 looks at the ref and says "aren't you going to call that?" The ref shruggs his shoulders and A2 tosses the ball back to the official. Does tossing the ball back constitute a shot or attempt or would it be a delay violation on A2 for not shooting? There are so many ways I can 2nd guess myself on this any help ............ would help???????????????
Maybe the first question could be, "Was your team legally equipped?"

Who knows what the rules are in any given wreck league?
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

the answer to this situation is easy. Call the double violation. Gather all players in the center circle - and restart the game with a scrum making sure both officials are looking toward the bench to see if/how many players leave bench area to participate or just to get a better view. Then, blow the whistle - have a 10 minute conference with partner(s) to determine whether any additional free throws need to be attempted with the lane cleared and pray that no one decides to cross the 3pt line into a lane space after the official bounces the ball to the shooter.