The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 07:47am
In Memoriam

Question NCAA Men - Elevated shooter

from http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...77/1004/SPORTS
... Referee Jess Kersey , now working for the league, was at the practice facility to discuss officiating and some of the new points of emphasis,

As for the referee's meeting, Kersey made the Pistons aware that the refs will be watching contested shots more closely. They will make sure that defenders allow shooters to land after their shots. Too many times, defenders' feet were going underneath air-borne shooters, causing them to fall awkwardly and increasing the risk of injury.

Questions:
  • What is the NCAA Men's Rule for this act ?
  • Is this being discussed in college camps/clinics?
  • What are the "accepted" applications?
While watching this happen with regularity in the past, I find it troublesome.

Thanks.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 08:53am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Questions:
  • What is the NCAA Men's Rule for this act ?
  • Is this being discussed in college camps/clinics?
  • What are the "accepted" applications?
The NCAA rule is essentially the same as the NFHS rule. An airborne shooter must be given the opportunity to land, unless the defender obtained his position in the shooter's path before the shooter became airborne.

This play was not discussed at the camps I went to, except for the common admonition to watch the shooter all up and all the way back to the floor.

Not sure what you mean by accepted applications. I think the most common scenario in which this type of foul is called is when the defender turns to "box out" the airborne shooter and makes contact before the shooter lands.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 09:02am
Courageous When Prudent

Protecting airborne shooters is a focus point this year in the NCAA. It's included in this year's NCAA video. And one example shows a defender putting his feet under the airborne jump shooter causing the shooter to fall when landing. NCAA wants a foul called.

The NCAA video also emphasized 2 "absolute" foul calls. But I'll leave that for another thread.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 09:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
This play was not discussed at the camps I went to, except for the common admonition to watch the shooter all up and all the way back to the floor.

Not sure what you mean by accepted applications. I think the most common scenario in which this type of foul is called is when the defender turns to "box out" the airborne shooter and makes contact before the shooter lands.
Good! That is the play that most bothers me.

I only have access to DII and DIII ball, and it seems like 2-3 times a game I see the *box out* butt under the shooter, who must contort his body [if possible] or get peanut butter. That defensive play seems to be tolerated or ignored, or both. So, I was wondering if it was accepted as a Men's basketball tactic under certain conditions.

The only DI games I see are on TV and the camera is not following the shooter to the floor.

It seems that the knowing that a butt or back is going to be under your jump shot, can put a shooter at a distinct [mental] disadvantage due to an unofficiated illegal act.

Thanks.