Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie View Post
I have never called a technical on this play and I have not used the put the ball down technique in years... Good game management prevents the need for this imo...
If by "good game management" you mean that you allow teams extra time to get out of their timeout huddle so that you don't have to put the ball on the floor, I would question your "game management".
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

I've had an increasing number of players who remain inbounds to set up their play and/or recieve instructions from their coach before stepping back out of bounds to take the ball from me. In this situation I've usually said something like "We're ready #12", or "Here we go #12" and the player has stepped back and taken the ball for the throw in. On a few occasions however, the player has seemed to ignore my request so I have put the ball down and started my count. It seems to me that some coaches must be instructing their players to try to get some more time to set up by standing inbounds by the official. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Just curious.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have never called a technical on this play and I have not used the put the ball down technique in years... Good game management prevents the need for this imo...
Unfortunately, kids don't always respond. At some point, I'm no longer going to prod them. If they ignore me, I tweet, count to two, tweet and put it on the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
NOte that this was 7.5.1B last year and is 7.5.1C this year.

Moved to 4-38 (and the reference in the case changed) last year.
I'm using the 2006 ARS books that are stored on my work desktop. That's why my references are pre-2007. But I am assuming they are the same references, correct?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
If by "good game management" you mean that you allow teams extra time to get out of their timeout huddle so that you don't have to put the ball on the floor, I would question your "game management".
Reading is fundamental... I never said I allow extra time to get out of their huddle...

Question all you like but it works... I work strictly 3 man crews. When you have one offiicial at each huddle at the warning horn and one "in" the huddle at the final buzzer, the teams come out almost always without a problem. If they don't I have a talk with the coach suggesting that the ball will be placed on the floor and this has always solved the problem. When the officials are right there clapping and verbalizing the kids come out... Good game management.

It works... like I said... I have not had to put the ball down in years and I don't have to wait or beg/repeatedly blow my whistle.

In fact, around here officials who put the ball down are looked at as those who are not capable of keeping the game moving through effective game mangement practices.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In fact, around here officials who put the ball down are looked at as those who are not capable of keeping the game moving through effective game mangement practices.
Around here those officials are known as those who ARE capable of keeping the game moving through effective RULE BOOK practices.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart View Post
Around here those officials are known as those who ARE capable of keeping the game moving through effective RULE BOOK practices.
Ahh yes... but if you manage the situation and pre game handling these things you never have to get to the "rule" of putting the ball on the floor.

I can tell by your smiley that this concept is lost on you so I will not waste anymore bandwidth explaining it to you.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 05:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think this is regional. In some areas, the coaches have been trained to get out quickly. Others, they linger as long as they're allowed to. My most recent area, I didn't put the ball down in the two years I worked there. It didn't take a whole lot of GM on my part, either.
Mentioned it to coaches in the pre-game (Per instructions from the state) and the coaches were all on board.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

I think this might work better with 3-man mechanics than 2-man mechanics as well. It's more difficult with 2-man mechanics to linger around one or both team's huddles, especially when one of you is standing at the throw-in spot. I won't walk across the court to remind a team that they need to break up the huddle. I will put the ball on the floor and once is usually enough to get the message across.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Because I'm an idiot, apparently.

Try cutting back on the "meds."
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So you feel that anyone who puts the ball on the floor and begins counting, just as described in the rule and case book, is incapable of effectively managing the game? It's disappointing that you would assume that.

But I've got news for you. Placing the ball on the floor can also be a very effective game management practice. In fact, it's advocated by my state association, which has established a specific procedure for doing so.

Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 05:53am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I think this might work better with 3-man mechanics than 2-man mechanics as well. It's more difficult with 2-man mechanics to linger around one or both team's huddles, especially when one of you is standing at the throw-in spot. I won't walk across the court to remind a team that they need to break up the huddle. I will put the ball on the floor and once is usually enough to get the message across.
Concur. My experience is also mostly 2-man, sub-varsity and while rare, putting the ball down on an oft occasion works for me.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
So you feel that anyone who puts the ball on the floor and begins counting, just as described in the rule and case book, is incapable of effectively managing the game? It's disappointing that you would assume that.

But I've got news for you. Placing the ball on the floor can also be a very effective game management practice. In fact, it's advocated by my state association, which has established a specific procedure for doing so.
Tony....

With all due respect for you, If that is what your state association wants you to do, by all means do it. That is not what is wanted around my parts at all and we are instructed to avoid using this rule if at all possible. Again, the game moves along and it really is not an issue around here. Maybe its a regional thing where teams have problems getting out of huddles but around here, when the final horn blows the teams come out ready to play.

Its not babysitting or anything else... you hit the whistle, say final horn let's go and they come on out. I have not had to use this "rule" in years...
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Great! But don't assume others incapable just because they use a tool provide by the NFHS.

Closed Thread